Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Old Blue

So after hubby relinquished the keys to the Civic he had just bought, the search for a car for him resumed. He found exactly what he wanted in a small town in Missouri. He was leaving for a trip to Minnesota anyway, so he opted to make a detour to pick up the new car and leave the old one in Missouri. Awhile ago, we were cleaning out the fifteen year old Accord. After having told Jeff that I don't get attached to vehicles, I have to admit I had a twinge or two thinking back on our adventures in Old Blue.

Here she is the day we picked her up at Krenzen Auto Mall in Duluth. Our first ever brand new car. The first summer we had her, the kids and I took a 2000 mile trip to New Mexico. Later that summer, we all headed to Seattle, another 2000 miles. In August, my daughter took an art class at The Depot. One of the assignments was to draw a picture of what you had done over the summer. Most kids drew lakes or swimming pools or skylines of Minneapolis. My daughter drew a picture of a little blue car. When the teacher looked confused, Jess explained that she had spent a LOT of time in that car over the summer.

Our little blue car took us to Seattle, California, Washington D.C., Canada, and a lot of other places in between, as you can see.She's a little worse for the wear, but she still plugs along. Yeah, I did get a touch of nostalgia for all the family vacations we took when the kids were little. So I must be somewhat attached to the car. But here's the cool part. The people hubby is buying the car from are going to buy Old Blue and fix the CV joints. There is an elderly couple in their small town who need a car and don't have one, so Old Blue will be a gift to them. Now that's good karma.

12 Comments:

Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

319,000 miles?! Holy moly that's pretty good.

Too bad you used up your clever "car-ma" pun on me huh?

12:17 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

jeff - Yes, because puns should only be used once, if that. I hope the car actually makes it to Missouri!

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah the good ol' Accord. Sad to see it go. Unlike you, however, I do tend to get attached to cars (and just about anything else, for that matter). This is a habit I shall have to soon break. Life changes too much to get attached to material possessions. It's enough stress dealing with the human attachments, especially when you have to leave your parents and boyfriend to go to college. Oh well.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Wow I had no idea cars ran that many miles.

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I have to admit I used to say some not so nice things about your Honda, along with lots of other stupid little imports,(20 years owning a NAPA store) but I have to say that 319,000 miles is VERY IMPRESSIVE!!! There are few cars that make it that many miles. Of course high mileage cars are usually good for our business, but some import parts are so hard to get! Anyway, enjoy your new car. By the way, at my house you don't get attached to any inanimate objects because with Danny they do good to stay around 15 months, not years....

7:54 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

jess - You were only four years old when we got that car, so I can see the attachment. BTW, it's okay to get attached to humans.

heather - We overhauled it a few years ago. I'd post pics, but I looked awful in those coveralls.

di - I have a hubby and two kids who never get rid of anything, and I'm a tosser. I can be overly frugal, however. I actually ruined a batch of jam last month because it burned on the bottom of a pot I should have thrown out years ago. Probably about fifteen.

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm terrible when it comes to getting attached to cars.. The car I'm driving and paying for (another red Civic just like the one dad relinquished to Jessica) already is pushing 180,000 miles on it... 95,000 miles in four years. But I don't plan to replace it any time soon. It's been great and it continues to serve me very well without problem. I probably won't even consider replacing it until something disastrous happens to it.

Di -- I'm sure you had some things to say about the 1991 black Civic I used to drive too!!

-- Okay now that I've caught up on Mom's blog, it's time to stop procrastinating and do some real schoolwork... which is what I came up to this computer lab for in the first place!!!

11:19 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

curtis - Glad you caught up. I was busy while your dad was up visiting you and then got a low grade version of your sister's cold, so haven't been blogging, but hopefully will get back to it this week. Keep up with those studies!

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Curtis - Oh yeah, I remember that Civic all too well!!!It is good to hear that you are going to school. I was wondering what happened to you since you got off MYSPACE.

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MOM! Write more. Pleeease??

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I absolutely agree with Jessica!!! I need my blog fix!!! PLEEEAASSSSEEE!

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are not going to get out of the third grade unless you turn in more blog work. At least you can tell us how the "lab" is coming.

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home