Friday, August 10, 2007

Paper Tiger

I'm not big on celebrities. I think most of them get way too much press for really stupid things. Sure, I like to watch their movies or listen to them sing, but they don't do many things aside from that that I find particularly admirable.

There is a group that I find impressive, however, and that is professional golfers. Not only are they great athletes (they make golf look easy, and it ain't), with rare exception, these guys are down to earth. Most of them don't have the arrogance of other professional sports stars, they donate their time and money to a variety of charities, and when they win a tournament, the first thing they do is embrace their children. I like that.

Two days ago, we had the opportunity to attend a practice round of the PGA Championship at Southern Hills in Tulsa. This is how much I wanted to go see my golfers. I don't do mornings and I don't do heat. I got up at 4:30 a.m., drove to Tulsa and spent five and a half hours walking in the 95+ degree weather. I not only got to watch the guys play golf, I got to take pictures. One of my favorite golfers is Retief Goosen. He plays amazing golf, and I am in awe of him because he has been struck by lightning. Twice.

The first time, he was 15. It burned his clothes off and melted his shoes. He was in the hospital for six days and two weeks later, he was playing golf again. Okay, I'm not going to focus on how dumb it is to be out playing golf when there is lightning around (twice), because that would spoil my image of what a badass he is. It was probably freak lightning from a clear, cloudless sky anyway. Yeah, I'm sure of it.

So I, who isn't easily impressed, came around a corner and turned into a teenage girl at a rock concert because "OHMIGOD IT'S TIGER WOODS!"

The only thing cooler than to watch him drive and get a couple dozen pictures would have been to get his autograph. Probably just as well I didn't get that close to him. I might have passed out. Just saying.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Now THAT'S cool! Are the practice rounds as crowded with fans as the tournament rounds? Because that seems like a good way to see the pros.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

jeff - No, way smaller galleries on the practice rounds, so it's possible to see more of the players. Plus, you can take pictures and get autographs. On game days, no cameras - if you try to get in with one, they will confiscate it and beat you to death with it. Seriously.

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

linda: I have to brag and tell you I am assistant pro at rolling ruts here in Duluth. How come the girls never ask for my autograph???

5:56 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I have to agree with you that golfers in general seem to be normal, down-to-earth, decent people.

Just don't make me watch it on tv. Or play it for that matter.

I think I would get a little thrill seeing Tiger too though.

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe you got to see Tiger Woods IN PERSON!!!!Lucky--lucky you!! I love watching him on T.V. and even tho I'm not much of a golfer, for some reason I'm always interested in reading about him.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Mooselet said...

Sweet!! I admit I don't watch golf - I consider it a cure for insomnia - but it's cool when you get to meet people you admire, especially those who are so well known and do good things.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

bill - Because: 1. They know you are out of their league, and 2. They would have to deal with Lois.

heather - Golf as a sport seems quieter and more polite. Which is odd, given that it has its origins in Scotland with shepherds smacking stones with sticks. Whatever.

lois - Have you seen the pictures of him with his new baby girl? Sweet!!

mooselet - I never used to understand watching golf until I started playing it. You'd think I would pick up some tips for my swing by watching the pros, but alas, I still suck.

6:39 AM  
Blogger yoo hoo said...

That sounds like such fun....in fact I think I'll go golfing this weekend. You have inspired me, I don't allow cameras around when I golf, but for WAY different reasons.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

carla - Cameras, BAH! Except for hubby and the kids, I don't even let people around when I'm playing golf.

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home