Thursday, August 23, 2007

Easy Come, Easy Go

This is the vehicle that our daughter has been driving for the past two years. I call it The Banana. It's been a fun little truck for her, and the 4WD served her well the winter she spent in Minnesota. It's also been great for muddin'. For those of you not from these parts, muddin' is pretty much what it sounds like it would be, and the ultimate conclusion to a good muddin' session is a trip to the car wash.

Recently, Jess made up a budget for college and realized that The Banana is not a good car for commuting to and from college (those weekend trips home to do laundry and get some mom cooking). She made an ad for Auto Trader online with plans to start looking for a more gas friendly automobile.

Meanwhile, hubby has been tooling around in a Honda Accord with 320,000 miles on it. He's been sorta kinda looking for another vehicle, and last Thursday, he found one. A nice little Honda Civic only an hour away in Stillwater. Last Friday, he drove the Accord down and bought the Civic. Later that afternoon, Jess put her ad online.By Saturday morning, she had received five calls about the truck. One of them was a farmer up near Topeka (about a 4-5 hour drive from here), who said he would drive down that afternoon with payment. So Jess and a friend set out to clean the truck in anticipation of a sale. During this time,she's still getting calls and e-mails from interested parties.

Late afternoon, the farmer and his wife pull up. He checks out the truck, takes her for a spin, and his wife writes a check, 24 hours after the ad was placed. He was happy, we were happy, as we watched The Banana turn the corner and disappear. Jess, remembering all the good memories of the truck, heaved a little sigh and looked a bit rueful. Then, she turned around and beheld a shiny, red Civic parked in the garage. Dad reached into his pocket and handed her the keys. It's all good - he really didn't want a red car anyway.

Oh, and I think the farmer is going to want to remove this. Yeah.

9 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

I can't read what the sticker says!

I know how she feels. I always feel a bit sad when I sell my car. I too, got a "sensible" car when I went away to college.

6:54 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

heather - It says "This is NOT my boyfriend's truck!" You can see why the farmer maybe wouldn't want that. :-)

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice gift Randy and Linda, but I have a feeling Jess will miss the truck at snow time.

5:56 AM  
Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

You shouldn't get attached to cars. They'll break your heart every time.

In a twisted fate of irony, we now have a new car too. Watch for an update soon.

8:08 AM  
Blogger yoo hoo said...

Sweet...loves a new car....if there are no ongoing payments involved.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

bill - Actually, it's not a gift. The car is in our name and she pays for gas and insurance. Oh, and we don't say the S word in our house.

jeff - I never get attached to cars OR houses. That has allowed me to follow hubby (to whom I am attached) all over the country. Can't wait to see your new car!

carla - We don't believe in car payments. We're cheap that way. :-)

9:51 AM  
Blogger Bugwit said...

Howdy, Mom. I was borned in Oklahoma. Yup, right there in Midwest City. Lived a Norman for a spell, too.

*sings*

I'm just an Okie from Midwest
City...

5:14 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

bug - Thanks for stopping by! Last time I was in Midwest City, my daughter and I were helping clean up after a tornado. Other than the obvious mess, seemed like a decent place.

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an excellent choice for a vehicle... Those shiny red Honda Civics sure are nice!!

I'm sure the farmer wouldn't want some of the things I used to draw on the windows of that truck with window chalk haha

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home