Monday, August 06, 2007

My Peeps

I've been in a slump and not prone to writing, and I think I've figured out why, due to some big deal things. A wedding, a baby shower, and kids going places. I homeschooled for several years and then my kids went back to public school. We lived in a small town and our son went to school there. But our daughter wanted to do junior high thirty miles south, so I drove her down every morning and went back to get her in the afternoon. Do the math. It was worth it. And this is why.
Bad picture of a picture. The guy on the left is Joe. Joe is the kindest, most sensitive person on the planet. He has a great singing voice. I would have a van full of kids talking louder than you can imagine. ANY song that came on the radio, you would hear Joe's voice from the back of the van "I LOVE THIS SONG!" Always followed by a chorus of "JOOOOOOE!" They all called me Mom. One time, Joe needed my attention. After a few feeble "Moms,", he said "Mrs. Kooiman!" Brought the entire van to dead silence. Love it.

Next over is Jennifer. Jenn was a year older and didn't spend much time at my house. Suffice it to say, she's a firecracker outside and a marshmallow inside.

Fourth over is Kate, whose wedding we attended yesterday. Surrealistic, given that my favorite memories of her are riding on the back of the lawn mower while Jess mowed our lawn in Pond Creek.

Next is Jess, who gets a lot of press on this blog. Then, there is Bennett. My favorite memory of Ben is when he and my daughter were doing a project together. It consisted of building a finite object from balsa wood, and designing it in such a way as to stand many pounds of pressure before collapsing. They had been working on it in class for a couple of weeks, and had one weekend to finish on their own before grading. I picked the kids up after school, dropped several of them off, and got to Ben's house. When he got out, their project fell out of the car and shattered. Bennett looked down and was silent for a couple of seconds. Then, he broke out into bwaahahaha laughter. I wish I had a picture of that face.

Then there is Tonica, third from left, a force with which to be reckoned. Since I've known her, when she was 13, that child could belt out a song . . . you can't imagine. She sings all the time. The only time she didn't walk through my door singing, she walked through it after a breakup from a year long relationship with her first love, straight into my arms, crying. I prefer the singing. Hubby has said for years that he would sponser her to audition for American Idol, and I would go as her chaperone. I wish she would do that. She just left for boot camp for National Guard. I'm so proud and so scared.

These are my kids. They have been a huge part of my life. I love them beyond measure. I pray that their lives are all they hope for, and I am so grateful that I have been blessed to have experienced them.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My remark regarding "My Peeps" ended up under "Home On The Range" and anonymous, but you know I am screwed up!

5:14 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

"Of all possessions, a friend is the most precious." -Herodotus

7:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back!!! I have missed your little blogs, they always give my day a lift. I understand exactly what you are saying. I actually cried like a baby at the graduation for the class that graduated a year before Mandy's class. Too many of "my kids" were in that class.Now most of them are married with kids, and scattered everywhere!!That includes your two, especially Curtis. He is definatley one of a kind!!

10:04 AM  
Blogger KiddoKare1 said...

Sorry you've been in a slump and a funk! I've missed reading what you have to say. Take care of yourself!

1:03 PM  
Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Great story. Funny how other people's kids can grow on you. We've been foster parenting a teen for the last 3 months and he's become one of our own. It'll be sad to see him leave - IF he ever does!

2:19 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

bill - That's okay, I figured it might be you!

heather - Couldn't have said it better myself.

di - Thanks, I'm glad you read the blogs. I like your comments - I miss you guys!

tracy - I think the heat has had something to do with the funk. I'm not getting outside to get my exercise and I get crabby!

jeff - I'm on the board of a non-profit that facilitates therapeutic foster care. You have no idea how wonderful it is that you are doing that!

6:01 PM  
Blogger KiddoKare1 said...

I've been getting up and walking at 5:15 every morning-and it's already flipping hot out THEN! I had a bad feeling we'd be paying for the mild summer in August and September. LOL!

4:01 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

tracy - Anyone who gets up at 5:15 to exercise in the heat gets "you are a god!" from me!

6:28 PM  
Blogger KiddoKare1 said...

LOL! You're funny! It's about the only time I CAN exercise. If I wait until the end of the day with these little darlings-I've got no energy left to exercise with! It helps my energy level throughout the day, too. I've felt much better since I started.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

That is so cool. I know how you feel. My kids friends have become my kids, they too call me mom, and I love it.

I just got back from Senior High camp last week, affectionately known as BKK (Big Kids Kamp). I noticed how the face of camp has drastically changed. Katie and Natalie were neither one there. Katie could still be a camper, Natalie is too old!!!
All of their friends have gotten "real" jobs or like Katie were away for the summer. Many of them are married with families and this years crop had around 35 new kids!! The face has definitely changed. It was a good camp but oh how I miss "my kids".
What a blessing they all are!

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home