Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Times Have Changed

Yesterday the dorms opened at OSU. Daughter was eager to check out her crib and make a game plan for what she will need when she moves in, in a couple of weeks. Check out her new digs.

I'm very impressed with this space. It's actually in one of the older buildings on campus and it's not central to the campus. Which means she'll walk a lot, which may help fend off the freshman fifteen. She doesn't have a roommate and she has her own bathroom.

Being there got me to thinking about the dorms I stayed in when I was in college oh so many moons ago. Always had a roommate and two suitemates. Now there's a kooky plan - four teenage girls and one bathroom. Our beds were narrow and hard, we had desks the size of postage stamps. We didn't have mini-fridges or microwaves or laundry rooms (non-coin operated even) down the hall next to the lounge with the cozy chairs and flat screen television. There wasn't a coffee shop or a cafeteria on the bottom floor.

We had RA's who had been trained by Hitler. We also had room inspections every few weeks, so we had to keep everything shiny and clean. And my room did not resemble hers at all. In fact, I found a picture that reminded me of one of my dorm rooms.

I'm just saying.

9 Comments:

Blogger Mooselet said...

Her own bathroom?? I'm impressed. I had two roommates as a freshman, one as a sophomore and the entire floor shared a bathroom. Something like 15 rooms with 2 or 3 people in each. Not a pretty sight.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

mooselet - I know! I lived in one dorm that had a floor sharing bathroom. It looked like an airport bathroom, only with showers. Not a fan.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

My dorm had that same bathroom. Yuck. And my room was right near it so I heard flushing and door-slamming all night long. Lovely. I didn't go away to school until my junior year (did the first 2 at community college) but my first roommate was a nightmare. She'd leave her suitcase open on the (tiny) floor piled with clothes for up to 2 weeks after she'd gone "home" for a couple of days.

Living in cramped space with a suitcase covering half the floor? Not fun.

I'd love to have had a dorm room like your daughter's. I'd probably have stayed in the dorm my senior year instead of renting a crappy apartment. (Although that was fun because my roommate was, and still is, my best friend.)

Good luck Mommy!

6:50 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

I had a roommate who looked like Kelly Ripa and had a boyfriend who looked like Mark Consuelos, not kidding. I came back from a weekend at "home" to find them en flagrante. I saw them a few years later at the Albuquerque symphony. She didn't remember me, but I sure remembered her new husband's thankfully covered fanny.

7:10 PM  
Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Not too shabby! But not as nice as where I lived when I went to college.

Oh yeah... I lived at home.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

jeff - So you got to have Lois fix your meals and do your laundry? That's definitely better!

9:50 AM  
Blogger yoo hoo said...

I think I blocked out that dorm living, except for the always wanting sleep, and always getting up before everyone to take a shower. I think those two incidents are related somehow. Oh and By the Way, your dorm room had MUCH more color than mine.

7:10 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

carla - I used to trade showers for sleep. I probably reeked, but I didn't care. The only color in my dorm was my posters, mostly of David Cassidy. My roommate must have hated me.

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She'd better not leave that dorm room that bare!! It's college, man!! Now is the time more than ever to express oneself and get creative... I know it will be a mess soon enough and that's how a college dorm room is supposed to be!!!!

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home