Sunday, July 01, 2007

Slip Slidin' Away

For the first time in two years, we actually went away for a few days of fun. I know, we work too hard. We started out Monday morning driving to Stillwater for our daughter's OSU orientation. That was a day and a half of some good information infused with some total BS. I think we ultimately came out okay, but I have to confess I fell asleep in a couple of the parent sessions.

For those of you not from these parts, this guy is a local icon. "He" started out as a bar, evolved into a burger joint and now has a Mexican and an Italian branch. We ate at the Italian. My first Eskimo Joe dining experience. I highly recommend it.
From Stillwater, we headed east toward Tulsa. These roads are good, but take you through a lot of small Oklahoma towns with some really neat things to photograph.

Now this is just plain cool. I would wager that the folks who worship here are some good people. I'll bet if you needed anything, they would totally have your back.

We ended up getting onto I-44 in Tulsa, which is on the old Route 66, which, if you've read previous posts, you know I love. There are still so many of the old-timey restaurants and kitschy sights to see. Classic cars, a big pink elephant, not sure why, but it was fun. Unfortunately, it was on the other side of the road. And we were in a hurry.

We spent the night in a small town in Missouri, got up early and had so much fun in St. Louis. Not. Coming into town, we were informed that the route we wanted was closed due to an overturned semi on the Poplar St. Bridge. We reverted to Plan B via hubby's atlas and daughter's GPS. Ended up in the ghetto. Where I attempted to enter the left turn lane only to find a pimp mobile was trying to pass in that lane, he had to take evasive action to roar around on the right and continue straight while giving me what has to be the longest flip-off in the free world. That's okay, at least he didn't stop and open fire. We got back on track and drove for many eons until we reached our destination. But that is a post for tomorrow . . .

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Linda, Since I started riding around Oklahoma on the back of a motorcycle, I have seen so many wonderful sights that I have passed a million times before but never noticed. Unfortunately, I cannot take a decent picture of anything, so trying from the back of the bike would never work!!! So, I have to settle for mental pics of all those wonderful old barns, signs,mountains,(or are they hills?) etc.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Holy crap, you guys are going to the Dells?!! That's awesome.

St. Louis can be kind of scary if you don't know where you are. You're just lucky you weren't in East St. Louis - that's a place you really don't want to get lost in.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

di - I need to take a trip where I am not in a hurry so that I can stop and take pictures. Too many cool things "on the way."

jeff - Well, we were actually in the Dells for one day and then had a horrific drive home, next post.

Driven through East St. Louis, not fun. Not even to mention the Griswolds' experience. At least this was daytime.

7:03 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I've had trips like that in college where my friend and I were trying to find a particular place...or just a bar and ended up in a not-so-great part of the city. We were lucky that it just seemed scary and was probably fine.

What happened in the Dells? Did you drive by my house on the way there??

7:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You have so many things to see, and hopefully some day I will be able to visit that giant ball of twine somewhere out your way!!! All kidding aside, we really enjoyed the Oklahoma City Cowboy Museum.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

heather - Luckily, my husband gave me a GPS for my birthday. I think I need to take a trip to try it out. I may have driven by your house - we went into Wisconsin on I-39 and cut west on 90 to the Dells. Are you on that route?

bill - Come down in May when the Cowboy Museum has their chuckwagon cookout. You buy a bowl and go from one wagon to another and they dish up whatever they're cooking, pot roast to beans to peach cobbler.

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home