Monday, September 24, 2007

I Deserve a Break Today

The Geico gecko bugs a lot of people. I don't really mind him. Probably because, when we lived in Corpus Christi, geckos were everywhere and I thought they were really cute. Well, I did mind that morning when I opened the cupboard door to get my coffee cup and a gecko leapt off the shelf and onto the countertop. From there, he made a jump to the refrigerator and stuck there like a magnet. And I really didn't like it when I pulled back the shower curtain to find two of them in the bathtub. Oh, and there was that time that my mom and her friend (who was also her boss) were visiting. We opened the front door and two geckos ran into the house and under the couch. My then four year old son raced after them, threw himself on the floor, looked under the sofa and said, "Where did those damn geckos go?" Kids. They say the darndest things.

There are a few ad personalities that bug me a lot, however. Like this dude, whose plastic surgery went horribly awry. I'm pretty sure when my kids were little, they would have been terrified of this guy.

The Quaker Oats man has been around forever, and he never really bothered me. But now he's lurking around every corner, at the school bus stop, carrying trays of sweets for the children. My mommy told me to steer clear of freakishly dressed weirdos who offered me candy.

I don't like the Nasonex bee, either. His eyes are creepy and he likes to assault pretty flowers. He's also seriously in need of a good orthodontist. And what is up with that accent? No wonder the French hate us.

But I have to say, the ad that bugs me the most is the one for Air Wick. For a long time, I didn't even know which air freshener was being advertised, because I was too distracted by the big purple elephant with the English accent. Who was having trouble controlling odors in her home because of all the smelly sneakers that were funkifying the atmosphere. Because she's married to a centipede. Now that's just wrong.

13 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

That Airwick one disturbs me too. An elephant and a centipede? Come on!

Or there's the one for some sort of toe fungus medication where a disgusting monster lifts up the big toenail and climbs under it. Ewww. I have to look away because it gives me the willies. Every time.

7:05 PM  
Blogger KiddoKare1 said...

I'll tell you what commercials drive me crazy-it's the Visa ones where the people who dare to pay cash screw everything up. That ticks me off! LOL!

7:08 PM  
Blogger KiddoKare1 said...

Oh, and by the way-that Burger King guy freaks me out too. Especially the one where he wakes up in bed next to people. Ewwwww

4:47 AM  
Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Good one Linda. I'm quite sure Charli would not have stayed in Corpus Christi long if we had reptiles popping out of our cupboards. But it sure is funny to hear about it happening to you!

7:41 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

heather - Oh, that little toe dwelling fungus dude that calls himself Digger totally grosses me out. I can't watch that one, either.

tracy - Those Visa commercials anger me with their message that we have to go into debt with our credit cards because there's something shameful about actually paying for things with cash. Nice message for the next generation.

jeff - Geckos were so prevalent in our house. Sometimes they would run in and we wouldn't notice them and we'd accidentally step on them and kill them. One day, Randy came into the living room to find Jess playing with what he thought was a dead gecko. Fortunately, it was a small toy dinosaur. Believe me, I could regale you with gecko stories for quite awhile!

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI!

5:42 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

bill - Hi! Didja miss me?

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss you? Did you get the picture of the beautiful girl that moved into your old house?

6:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you think the mountain dew one, with everything and everyone flying thru the air, is the most ridiculous add on T.V.? I do!!!

10:31 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

bill - I think that girl whose picture you sent me knows better than to move next door to you!

lois - Yeah, that one is dumb. I don't like the Banquet one where the woman is out "dancing" in her yard. She saved so much time with her crock pot dinner that she decided to use it being a dufus in her back yard. Ugh.

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right now, the ones that bug me are the STUPID Wendy's commercial with the people chopping down trees, or jumping in a hole like lemmings, while some goofy guy with red braids stuck on his head says not to follow the crowd. Give me a break!!!!!

11:37 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

di - I know, that guy with the braids creeps me out. I don't think Dave would like these ads of his eating establishments.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

haha, I feel the same way about the Burger King dude. I even posted about this last Feb...too funny.

The Quaker Oats guy is right there with him..and lets not forget the worlds worst commercial, "apply directly to forehead, apply directly to forehead..."

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home