Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Global Warming - Yeah, Right

This is the view from the front door today.



It's a good day to stay inside and get some work done. Or battle cabin fever by working on a thousand piece jigsaw puzzle.



The real subject of this post, though, is my grandog. Our daughter was here with her puppy over Christmas break, and again last weekend. That little critter has more personality than any dog I've ever known. You can't look at her without smiling. Her name is Lucy, but she is also called Lucille and, occasionally, Lucifer.

She has several things that sort of define her personality. She's a thief, she's a jumper, and she's a runner. You don't want to leave anything, especially a sock, lying around on the floor, because she will steal it and run like the wind away from you. She's very sneaky about it. If she happens upon a pile of laundry, she'll look at you sideways, nonchalantly pick up a sock, turn around and walk a few steps, then streak out like lightning. She takes great sport in knowing that she will be pursued.

She jumps like a cat. She can scale things you would never believe her short little legs could get her onto. And when she wants down, she doesn't really jump or slide, she launches herself out into the air, reminiscent of the final scene in Thelma and Louise.

The running part isn't so fun. If she happens to get out without a leash, she will take off in any direction and you can't possibly catch her unless she stops because she runs at cheetah speed. Which almost stroked me out a few weeks ago when she got out and made a beeline across the street where our neighbors were backing both cars out of their driveway. I went chasing after her screaming at the top of my lungs and waving my arms. "LUCY! STOP!" I guess it was sufficiently maniacal that the neighbors heard it and both stopped, one of them inches from Lucy's body. When I came back in the house, I had to sit down because I couldn't feel my legs.

But one of the most striking things about her is that she bears a striking resemblance to this critter.





Which is why she's also sometimes referred to as Gizmo.

14 Comments:

Blogger KiddoKare1 said...

Ahhhh, she's adorable! What kind of dog is she?

4:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is nothing more full of fun and love than a puppy. We would get another, but our age is the drawback. It would not be fair to the dog. Do you need any candles because we hear you have such lousey weather down there?

5:06 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

tracy - She's a Pekingese, and I swear if her face wasn't already squished in, it would get that way from her tearing around and running into things!

bill - I know, she's a joy to have around. We are petless also and plan to stay that way, mainly so we can travel without the hassle.

I have plenty of candles but thankfully we have not had to use them.

9:09 AM  
Blogger KiddoKare1 said...

I thought that was a Pekingnese. We had one when the kids were younger. He was my uncle's and he moved and couldn't take him so we did. You aren't kidding about how fast those little legs can carry them. Oh my!

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is adorable!!!! Makes me wish we still had our "Soxy". He was the nicest dog ever,but we couldn't trust him either, when somehow he would sneak out an open door. One time MaryAnn Fitzsimmons on Celia St. brought him back, and another time I was all over looking for him--walked to the end of Trudeau, and saw the grass across Piedmont, moving. It was Soxy!!!And you know how busy Piedmont is!! I guess dogs have angels, too!!! Yours sure does!!

12:01 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

tracy - I know, she's fast! One night she got out and ran across to the vacant lot. The lake is just beyond that. One hot day last summer she threw herself into a koi pond and I was terrified she was going to throw herself into the lake!

lois - Soxy was a sweet little dog. Our Sheltie got loose one day and we found him across Piedmont, also. Scary!

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She certainly is my little gremlin. All my friends love her almost as much as I do, and they have a lot of fun playing with her when they visit. She's lucky to have you and Dad to spoil her, too!!

1:40 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

jess - What, me spoil her? You must be thinking of someone else.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

I'm not a dog guy, but I thought Soxy was alright. It looks like Jess has a nice little puppy too. Hmmm, maybe I'm getting soft in my old age?

9:03 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

Oh, you've always been a softie. But stick to your guns about a dog - this one is 8 months old and last weekend I stepped in a pile of poo first thing in the morning!

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh stop complaining about your weather and come visit Minnesota for a couple of weeks in the winter!!!

9:14 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

curtis - I survived 5 winters in Minnesota, including record snowfalls, and record low temps (the year the entire surface of Lake Superior - the largest lake in the world - froze over). I've earned the right to bitch about my weather!

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol Alright I suppose you may have won this round... ;-)

But I still think there's something to be said about the worst of Oklahoma winter days still being better than most of our "good" winter days!! :-D

8:09 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

curt - That's true. But you don't get to bitch and moan when YOU COULD MOVE! LOL

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home