Saturday, October 11, 2008

This 'n' That

The move-in to the shelter was hectic, and we didn't get phones or internet until Tuesday, so it was still somewhat chaotic. Here are some highlights of the week.

On Saturday, hubby and I went out to Vance Air Force Base (our house is in the flight path for landings, so we get a lot of jet traffic overhead) because they were having a huge airshow. We only wanted to go mid-afternoon to see the Thunderbirds. We drove out, fought traffic, found a parking spot in a field, I turned around to get my camera . . . and realized it was sitting on my desk where I'd been loading photos of the big move. My zoom lens was in the bag in the back seat, and it would have taken some awesome pictures had it actually been connected to a camera. Oh well, maybe next time. The show was amazing anyway. I don't know how many times I've seen them perform, but it never ceases to impress.

I could have taken this picture. You know, if I'd had a camera.






Of course this time of year one always must decorate for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Harvest etc. It would be nice if the wind would simmer down a bit. Every time I go outside my little scarecrow is saying "Linda, help me, I've fallen and I can't get up."



Thursday night Jess came home for the weekend with a friend. We have graduated from Guitar Hero to Rock Band II which has, in addition to the guitar, drums and a mike for vocals.



While they played that, I slaved over a hot stove making chili for the United Way Chili Cookoff the following day. YFS always has a booth there. I'm surprised my house doesn't still smell like chili.



The cookoff was, as always, a success, with 37 booths. I'm proud to say our chili won second place, and we will get a nice plaque for our shiny new building. Thanks to April for the recipe.

Last but not least, hubby came in last night and said that my van had been 'violated.' Jess and Andrew had decided to jazz it up.



Don't ask me what a hornbeam is because I have no clue. Here is Jessica's signature vampire. She also likes to make this on the back window when the van needs washing.



And this is a tribute to Live's song "All Over You," which she and I crank and sing along with and giggle because the words make no sense.

"Our love is like water,
Pinned down and abused for being strange."



So . . . that is the week in review. Fun, busy, pinned down and abused for being strange. Just kidding. Looking forward to what the next week will bring. Well, I think I am. At least the stock market will be closed on Monday.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello.I moved to Okc from the east coast. Within three weeks of moving there, me and my boyfriend got jumped, mugged,violently assaulted. Never happened before in my life; and I lived in a big city area. I just wanted to know what u think of OKC and if u live close or in that city. Because when I tell people where I come from, what happened to me and my guy; they can't believe there's bad guys like that in Okc. New York n Philly yes. But Oklahoma? They even say,"i didn't know they have black guys in o.k.Because they wanna know what kinda guy it was who robbed us. (a young non caucasian)Tell me yout thoughts please. Thanks.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

At the risk of seeming politically incorrect, OKC has many displaced hurricane victims, and it is a fact that crime has increased in that area since Katrina.

We live about 80 miles north in a town of about 50,000. I'm not a fan of OKC and wouldn't want to live there, but that's largely because we are spoiled here with low cost of living and small town amenities, with larger towns close by.

I'm sorry that you had that experience. Generally, Oklahomans are wonderful neighbors and will have your back, whether it's a tornado, an ice storm or you just need a tow out of the mud. I hope you get to liking it better.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I hate it when I think I have something but I've actually forgotten it at home. It's happening a lot since baby D arrived. I seem to have forgotten my brain somewhere. Sounds like a good show anyway though.

6:43 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

heather - It happens to me a lot more these days - we call them senior moments. I do remember having a lot of them when I had babies, though. You'll grow out of it and then slide back in. Something to look forward to!

7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy Hornbeams came from an utterly insane Japanese video game called "Beautiful Katamari," in which Japanese techno music is the background noise, and you are a millimeter-tall (or should I say short?) son of the King of the Cosmos. The King demands that you create stars and other celestial bodies by rolling random things up into an increasingly larger ball (much like a snowball, except with everything from thumbtacks to gorillas to entire buildings). Aren't you glad you wondered?

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. That was Andrew who wrote that, by the way...since he's an uber dork and all...

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home