Thursday, December 11, 2008

Office Space

When hubby quit his job and started a consulting firm two and a half years ago, he started on the dining room table. It was practical, he wasn't sure where and when he wanted to rent office space. It was fine until such time as he had enough business to merit piles of paperwork, and the dining table ended up looking like this.



I loathe clutter, so I would try to not look at it. But every six months or so, I would freak out and say why does the @#*&%*&@#!$!## house have to look like something off Clean Sweep?

We have a spare bedroom that I wanted to make into an office. It tends to be the place where everything goes that I don't want to deal with right now, so there have been times that I had to wade through junk on the floor to get to the window to open the shades.

Meanwhile, our daughter moved into an apartment last fall, and her room was largely empty, or, as she put it when she came home one weekend, sad.

Hubby and I both wanted an office in the spare room, but we disagreed on a fundamental item - the desk. I wanted a nice wood computer desk, maybe a dining room table sized desk facing it, and a bookcase. He didn't like the stuff I liked and he thought it was cheapo. He wanted something more industrial. I was picturing something like a metal desk with green sides, and I didn't want the home office to have that look.

My non-profit just moved into our new shelter and didn't take everything from the old one, so we had a big sale a few weeks ago. One of the sale items was a desk from our Office Manager's office. I liked it because it was nice wood and he liked it because it was sturdy. Okay, the thing is six feet long and weighs a ton.

We brought it home. The next day, hubby was out for around three hours running errands. When he came home, he had an office. I had cleared out all the junk, reformed the entire east wing of the house. He was shocked. He had underestimated how much I loathed the clutter, and underappreciated that I only blew up every six months or so. He said it was like a spring unloaded.





And Jessica's room is no longer sad.





And best of all, we have a dining room table. Just in time for Christmas!



So Peter Walsh will not be visiting me anytime soon. Well,unless he looks at the garage . . . .

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad that Randy is doing so well with his business. Let's hope he has to expand even more in the future. "You did good too".

6:25 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Lovely. Our dining room table is piled with stuff right now. Yuck.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

bill - Thanks. He is up in Kansas this week on a project. I hope he gets to come home before our crappy weather hits on Sunday.

heather - I'm just glad he got his stuff off the table before Christmas!

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!!!! You done GOOD!!!! That was fun---to see what your house looks like. Love your furniture. My kitchen table looked like your "before" table, while I was doing christmas cards, and I was so relieved and happy to have it all clear again, with just the plant in the middle!!

6:07 PM  
Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Very nice! I would be proud to have you decorate my office. If I needed one that is.

9:08 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

lois - Thanks! I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I have now taken over the dining table to make scrapbooks of the Boundary Waters trip for everyone for Christmas. It will, however, be cleared off this afternoon when Jess and I put up the tree. I have no idea where I'll spread out for Christmas cards!

jeff - And I would be proud to have you build a swing for my back porch. If I needed one, that is. Oh, wait, as it happens . . .

8:11 AM  
Blogger KiddoKare1 said...

That looks really nice, Linda. My nest is getting emptier, you wanna come help me do some transformations? LOL

5:37 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

tracy - Anytime, just give me a call!

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home