Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Do You Hear What I Hear?

In one of my very earliest posts, I wrote about my penchant for eavesdropping on other peoples' conversations while out in public. A slight variation of that happened last week when I treated myself to a mini-spa day, with a mani-pedi and a haircut. While I was getting a pedicure, a woman came in for a fill and a pedicure. She seemed quite, shall we say, outgoing (loud), and asked everyone in attendance what color polish she should get. She said she wanted something that would compliment her tan, after which she told the room that everyone she knew could go into the tanning bed and fall asleep, but she couldn't. As a result, she just lies in the tanning bed, bored. As she sat down, she commented on the elevator music, asking, "Where's the rock and roll?"

The pedicurist had her sit down while she ran the water. The client put her feet in it and said that no, it wasn't too hot. She said she liked hot water. I said, "The water feels good, my feet have been cold all morning." To which she replied, "Yeah, I can't shower with my husband because I have to have the water HOT and he likes it lukewarm." Oh, I KNOW you didn't just say that to me because that is way too much information. Thankfully, my pedi was almost over and I got to leave before I found out what may have been even more revealing details about her and her husband.










I heard several conversations a few weekends ago, when we were at an airshow with an attendance of 35,000 people. The one that stuck with me was a woman, about my age, on her cell phone as everyone was leaving. "I'm on my way now, what is wrong with you? God, why do you have to be so %#@*ing rude?" Gee, I don't know. Because it's so polite to yell %#@*ing rude in a crowd, particularly one with multitudes of small children.

Last, my daughter and I were at Red Lobster a few weeks ago. There was a table near us with four people, who appeared to be co-workers lunching outside the office. They made no attempt to be discreet about any of their table talk, which was mostly mundane. At one point, though, I heard the only woman at the table loudly exclaim: "The man is obsessed with donkeys. He absolutely LOVES donkeys!" Guess we know who he'll be voting for next month.

8 Comments:

Blogger KiddoKare1 said...

Oh my, Linda! LOL! I just cracked up at the pedicure lady. Talk about too much information. And well, voting was not what came to mind when I read about someone being obsessed with donkeys. LOL.

4:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tracy - Yeah, that's not the first place my mind went when I heard the donkey discussion, but I'm trying to be "politically" correct, pun intended!

8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was fun to read!!! I can just hear that "loud" woman--she sounds like she really thinks what she has to say is very important, and EVERYONE should listen!!!

1:45 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

lois - She sure did think everyone should know about her life. I like talking to people, even ones I don't know, but hey, we need boundaries.

6:32 PM  
Blogger Schlepp said...

I need to turn on the automatic notification for comments at my blog. Sorry its been a couple hectic weeks and I'm just now getting back to you.

JC doesn't blog that I know of, but he can be reached at raizzuli 'at' hotmail 'dot' com. I'm sure he'd be delighted to hear from more of the NMSU gang.

Speaking of NMSU, ever hear from Donna? Haven't seen her in probably 15 years. Might be back in Las Cruces these days.

TTFN

12:57 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

Thanks. Raizzuli, good one. No, I haven't seen Donna since my son was a baby, so about 22 years ago. My mom saw her in Alamogordo several years back (Mom lives in Albuquerque now) and I guess Donna lives in Alamo or High Rolls, sort of hermit-like.

Very sorry about your Aunt Frances. Some people teach us how to live and love and some also teach us how to leave. She seems to have been one of those rare souls.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

After 25 years of rock and roll, my days of eavesdropping are over. I do hear a nice high "A" pitch in my ears all the time. So there's that.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

jeff - The upside may be that you don't hear all the people yelling on their cell phones in public places. Living in Minnesota, don't you mean an 'eh' pitch? Just saying.

2:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home