Monday, October 13, 2008

Hunkering Down

Some people call it nesting, but I'm okay with hunkering down. It's the way I roll in the fall when I want to clean and cook. You know I like my jam and jelly. I love the way it smells and how pretty it is in the jars, and the popping of the lids.

Here is another favorite. There is a roast underneath all of that. Around the roast are carrots, celery, onion, red, green and yellow peppers, and two kinds of squash. That all goes in the baking stone, along with some broth. I used to put potatoes in the mix, but I ended up with so many veggies that I now nuke the potatoes separately. I made that last night. So tonight, I cut up the leftovers, tossed in a can of corn, some leftover peas, a tomato, and some salt and pepper, and, with some crusty bread, we had another meal. We have enough for tomorrow night also. I have to say a big pot of soup is great for our first real fall night. We got a cold front from the north and it's been rainy and gray all day.



In addition, as an update on my September 4th post, in which I mentioned Alfie the Squirrel, he has decided to be part of the family. He comes to whatever window he thinks will give him a view of me (desk, living room, bedroom) and looks in so that I will bring pecans. He has gotten so comfortable with me that he takes pecans out of my hand. I go out to the back porch and hold them out. He comes to my hand, puts his little paws around my finger, takes the pecan in his mouth, looks at me and runs away to stash it somewhere. I really like the little guy.



Pssst! Don't tell my father-in-law. He hates squirrels.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last year we had two squirrels that became tame like your Alfie, and took peanuts out of our hand, too. One day, one of them was leaving the yard---I knocked on the living room window and it turned around and looked at me. Then it came back to the side door, and waited for me to come out and give it a peanut!!! Can you believe it? We also had one that would climb up our brick wall, and sit on our kitchen window sill and look at us! Fun!!

8:38 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

It's amazing how sociable they are! I'm glad you said that about peanuts. I'm almost out of pecans in the shell, so I just got some peanuts hoping that Alfie would go for them. I don't want to leave them out because it's raining and they might get soggy and fungus-y, so I'm waiting for Alfie to come peek in the window.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Those veggies sound delish! I so have to stop by your house sometime.

We have tame chipmunks on our deck, but Charli won't let me feed them because last year one of them walked on one of her customer's feet and freaked her out. Party pooper!

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*GASP!* I'm so sad that you made your roast without me that I may cry myself to sleep tonight...

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha oh boy don't get Grandpa started on HIS squirrel stories!!

2:57 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

jeff - Anytime - there's always something cooking in the pot! Who would freak out over a chipmunk, that's just wrong.

jess - I had misgivings about posting about the roast because I knew it would devastate you. I can make another this weekend if you'll be around.

curtis - I know! But his squirrels attacked his roof, I think. Alfie would never do that. He's been burying peanuts in the back yard all afternoon.

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As long as he doesn't get to come inside!

5:19 PM  
Blogger KiddoKare1 said...

Ohhhh....he's so cute. But I still think I'm with your father-in-law on the squirrels. Ugh.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

randy - I've thought about letting him in, but then I remember when the hamster was out of his cage for a few days and change my mind.

tracy - I thought about trying to pet him, but he is, after all, a wild animal, and I really don't want him to bite me.

6:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't pet him. You know the old saying, "A tame animal is a dead animal". Up here people have been known to shoot deer with ribbons tied around their necks. A couple weeks ago, they shot a bear with a collar as it just as it left the protected area where they are fed.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

bill - I wonder if Sarah Palin pets mooses before she shoots them.

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Alfie. How cool is that. I, on the other hand, have 4 barking dogs that scare away all birds, squirrels, cats...people. Sometimes the people thing is ok, actually. : )

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Father-in-law says....You are right--I don't like squirrels--not even to eat. They are self-centered hoarders and very disrespectful of our material possessions. I do like the wild turkeys that frequent our yard.

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home