Friday, October 31, 2008

Scrooge City

That's me on the right. Because much like Linus, somebody ruined Halloween. Our doorbell just rang for the first time tonight, and I didn't answer it. I felt a pang because I loved Halloween when I was a kid, and again when my kids were little. I always liked opening the door to small, adorable children in cute costumes. The problem is, the past couple of years have shown a dearth of small, adorable children in cute costumes, and a glut of rude, obnoxious brats.

When we lived in a small town in Oklahoma, I opened the door to kids I knew. Even after we moved here, I still knew the neighborhood kids. Now, kids come from neighboring towns, and other neighborhoods in the city, in large vans that they park at the end of the street. I don't know them and frankly, I'm beginning to feel a little like Joe the Plumber. I also don't like jacked up candy prices, especially when I am handing out three times what I used to. And I really hated it a couple of years ago when a kid threw his candy back into my bowl and said he wanted Reese's. Oh, and later that night when the doorbell rang at 10:30, I wasn't very happy. So, I am totally Scrooging out this year and opting out of Halloween. I may pay for it with toilet paper antics, or worse, but I guess that's a chance I'm willing to take.

So on that bitchy note, I would like to thank everyone who shows up and reads this blog - today is my two year blogiversary. Yay!

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Happy Blogiversary!! Keep 'em coming.
I vote scrooge city too. I think Halloween is evolving with society and it won't ever be the same.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Congrats on two years!

10:49 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

randy - I noticed that about 8 o'clock, when the neighborhood kids were mostly done,the porch lights went out all down the street. I guess we're not the only ones who are getting Scroogey.

heather - Thanks! I always look forward to seeing your little feet in the sand!

2:11 AM  
Blogger KiddoKare1 said...

Hey, Linda. That's really sad. I love handing out candy to the little kids. It was funny, even the couple of kids I didn't know were so polite. I held out the bowl and let the kids pick and they would only pick up one or two pieces. Since we weren't getting many trick-or-treaters, I would encourage them to take more. Even then, they would only take one or two more pieces unless I told them to take a handful. LOL.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

tracy - We have had very few polite kids the past couple of years. Even little ones can be rude and their parents are there and don't say anything. I hate that it's made me so jaded, but geez. I remember your kiddos coming over many years!

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't handed out much candy for several years, except for a few neighborhood kids that get an early start. I have been going with Mandy to take Hailee trick or treating for 5 years now. But I do remeber the older rude kids coming late, and ususally not even in costumes. I can completely understand you attitude. If Danny stays home, he leaves the lights off and won't answer the door.

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and Happy Blogiversary! I love reading it, and always look forward to a new one.

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your house lives on. Another nice couple with two children who stopped by for treats. You have to admit there still are lots of wonderful people we can overlook.

5:51 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

di - Thanks, I'm glad you read. I really missed the little kids Friday night, but I didn't have the energy to deal with the others. Have to save my strength for Tuesday!

bill - That was a very nice family house with wonderful neighbors!

7:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Halloween isn't the same here either. We don't get many trick or treaters anymore. We only went to the door 5 or 6 times, and I had most of the candy left for us to have to eat!!! Bummer!! Yah, right!!

9:10 AM  
Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Wow... 2 years! I'm so proud of you.

Happy Blogiversary!!!

7:31 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

lois - Yes, seems like in the old Duluth neighborhood (which I actually miss at Halloween, despite my first experience being that horrible snowstorm)that all the kids are grown up. Maybe I won't be such a Scrooge next year. Maybe the election actually will change everything (sound of angels singing)!!!!!

jeff - Thanks! One of these days I'm going to sit down and figure out how to get all the bells and whistles like you have on your blog (sound of angels singing).

2:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Dad. Every day I see more and more people utterly fail as parents, and can only hope that when I become one myself (quite some time from now), I'll be able to teach my children to be polite and respectful. It's becoming increasingly apparent how little society values what it used to, and I hope that changes.

Don't feel too bad about being Scroogey--Andrew and I left the porch light off and watched Ghost Hunters and played Rock Band with some of his friends all night. Then again, I'm pretty sure his neighborhood isn't all that populated with small children.

And last but not least...
Happy Blogiversary!!!

1:17 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

jess - Thanks! And thanks for giving me material for the blog and for not minding me plastering your face all over it!

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home