Monday, September 15, 2008

Gingerbread Man

So, when hubby was studying for his professional engineering license, he became interested in Fresnel lenses, which are pretty cool. I realized that they were magnifying lenses, but wasn't aware that they are also what is used to bring ships safely home via lighthouses. Hubby acquired a few Fresnel lenses, one being about the size of a magnifying glass, another being very thin and plastic. He used it to light the fire when we were in the Boundary Waters. It worked much better than rubbing two sticks together.



He also acquired one that was fairly large. He and our daughter amused themselves by melting pennies on the driveway. I've seen mean boys burn ants with magnifying glasses, but I have to say I was impressed by how little time it took to melt copper, and I think we might have started a driveway fire with not much trouble.



Hubby and daughter also took a welding class together last summer, just for grins, something new to do in their spare time. This is the frame she made for him, compliments of welding class, for Father's Day. Love the picture of them before class.



With that background, here is a dream I had several days ago.

I was in the kitchen when hubby and daughter came in from the garage, wearing their welding gear. They had scouted scrap metal because they were going to make the world's largest cookie cutter. After which they were going to make the world's largest cookie. It was going to be a gingerbread man. Their biggest dillemma was how to mix that much dough. And then there was the question of how and where to bake it. But they had pretty much decided on the driveway and something to do with the Fresnel lens. The phone rang and I, thankfully, awoke. Because what the hell am I going to do with the world's largest gingerbread man?



Given my penchant for cooking when the weather turns cooler, I can see a lot of cookies and jam coming up! Anyone want jam?

7 Comments:

Blogger KiddoKare1 said...

Um, yes to the jam question. LOL!

Funny dream. I can just see that cookie now. You could have a big Christmas display with the world's largest gingerbread people!

3:11 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

tracy - I'll see that you get some jam! What's your favorite? Yeah, if I could have the world's largest gingerbread display, I could rival those people in North Enid that I blogged about a couple of years ago. They might even buy me out.

5:54 PM  
Blogger KiddoKare1 said...

Hmmm....well let's see, can you go wrong with any kind of jam? LOL! My favorite is probably strawberry but I can't think of any kind I don't like except maybe orange marmalade. Ick.

4:54 AM  
Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Mmmm, jam! Strawberry for me too please.

We have fresnel stage lights. They're hotter than hell. Funny thing about them though. We've always pronounced them "fer-nel," which of course always prompts me to say them using a Dudley Do-Right voice so when someone asks me what the lights are for I can say, "for Nell!" But I guess that's my problem.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

tracy - Yeah, not a fan, have never made orange marmalade.

jeff - I imagine fresnel stage lights ARE hotter than hell. I've seen how good they are at melting metal!

Okay, I'm going to make some strawberry jam now.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Hey... can't seem to find your email addy here but I just wanted to say THANK YOU for the delicious jams! We had the strawberry for the first time today and it is to die for. So not only do I thank you but my kids do too :-)

11:43 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

You're quite welcome. I aims to please.

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home