Tuesday, May 01, 2007

That Darn Cat

So we were moving into the house before this one, and there was a kitten across the street. He looked over and said to himself, "Now there's a woman who's a sucker for tiny, homeless kitties. I'm just going to take my fine self over there and get some food, lovin' and a warm bed." And that is what he did. Ten years ago.

So sweet. So innocent. Except for the fact that he liked to get into the sinks, terrorize the dogs and climb the walls. Literally. We named him D.C. for a reason, and the D doesn't always stand for 'darn.' He got older and a little rotund, and he doesn't look the same, much like the rest of us.

This is a pose we call 'road kill kitty.' Now this dumb cat has spent ten years eating, shedding, whining and sleeping in our house. Recently, he has taken up a new habit. We gave ourselves a wide screen television for Christmas. Hey Mikey, he likes it! We were watching Discovery Channel's Planet Earth a couple of weeks ago. The camera crew was in the rain forest waiting for a Bird of Paradise to show up. Which he did, after several weeks. The photographers were ecstatic. So was D.C.

He watched until they moved on to a different part of the earth and larger animals. It's not that he doesn't like to watch larger animals. They just have to be birds.


I'm hiding the remote.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely love fluffy little kittens, but unfortunately, they don't stay cute and little! Plus the fact that Danny hates cats, so it has been a long time since we had one. The last one was a male that Mandy (for some strange reason) named "Precious". Danny refused to call a male cat Precious, so he just called him Fred. So he became "Precious Fred". However, he was very destructive and anything but precious, so he found a new home after a few months.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

We have an orange cat too. She's a bit on the rotund side too. At her last vet visit in February they put her on a quite restrictive diet since she was 16 lbs. I haven't weighed her recently but I think she's lost quite a bit of weight already. Maybe I should try that diet too.

TV was in my word verification. So fitting.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

di - It's unbelievable how such a tiny, fluffy little thing can wreak such havoc!

heather - I don't know why our cat is so tubby. He eats the same stuff he's always eaten. And by trying that diet, I hope you don't mean you're going to eat cat food. ;-)

10:04 AM  
Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

That's too funny. I always thought TV-watching cats was a myth. I guess I was wrong!

4:02 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

jeff - He was watching 'Farce of the Penguins,' quite irreverant. I was wondering if I should let a ten year old watch it, but then I remembered that he doesn't speak English.

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home