Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Focus

We spent last week in Minnesota, moving our son into a new apartment. This entailed two twelve hour days of driving, not to mention all the miles in the city getting from one apartment to the other and back ad transporteum. Which meant following, passing, being passed by an infinite number of other automobiles. Which led me, the primary driver and thus the one to see the backs of said automobiles, to wonder about the naming of different models of vehicles.

My first car was a Ford Galaxy and my second was a Chevy Nova.


Seriously sweet ride, although in Mexico, not a big seller, because the name in Spanish basically means doesn't go. Chevy also had the Vega, so they were very into naming their cars after large stars. Which I can kind of understand. I never understood naming autos after places, like Montego, Milan, Malibu, Monte Carlo, Aspen, Lucerne, Rainier, Durango or Dakota. I suppose the manufacturers want to evoke an image. Milan would be elegant. Durango would be rugged. Dakota would be, I don't know, four wheel drive. Sebring, ya got me.

I can also understand vehicles named for fast animals. Mustang, Cougar, Charger, Impala. Here is a list of monikers that baffle me.

Freestar - I don't even know what to say about this because it makes no sense on any level.

Aveo - likewise, and I don't even know how to pronounce it.

Crossfire - I'm thinkin' drive by shooting.

Rendezvous - Can we say hanky panky in the back seat?

Ram - road rage.

Avenger - beyond road rage. Cut me off and I shall avenge myself. There can be only one highlander!

Magnum - ultimate road rage.

Nitro - beyond ultimate road rage.

Viper - I hate snakes, enough said.

Caravan - what can I say, bad pun.

Yaris - sounds like a word Dr. Suess made up.

But here's the bottom line. Who wants to be rear ended by a Ford Probe?

4 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

I've wondered about the truck Avalanche too. Why would they think this is something good to name a car?

My brother calls Probes "butt-probes."

Charming, isn't it?

7:11 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

heather - I didn't even think of that, but Avalanche evokes all kinds of bad images. The only thing worse would be an Aspen Avalanche. And I totally understand your brother. Probes are just bad.

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who would like to buy a car with a GREMLIN in it?

8:40 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

bill - I don't know. A few years ago I always had a couple of little gremlins in my back seat anyway.

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home