Sunday, February 04, 2007

Consultants of Swing

My husband has been consulting since he left his former position at the end of July. Consulting with gentlemen in Kansas, one of whom we will refer to as KS. Because those are his actual initials, and he lives in Kansas.

JC is the consultant who coordinated a business trip last week, with KS and hubby. They had done a lot of work for a company in Bakersfield, California. So, in the midst of a rather freakish bunch of snow crap, they got to fly to the sunny coast, where you can actually PLAY GOLF, DAMMIT! But I digress. They were not playing golf, they were working. Or so they would have you think. This is what they were doing in reality.

Turns out that KS is an accomplished musician/vocalist, who plays in a band. He wanted to go here. Buck Owens' Crystal Palace is a club with live music and a museum with Owens memorabilia.



The consultants went to the museum and hubby took lots of pictures. KS was coveting this guitar. I don't know anything about musical instruments, but apparently, this one is pretty cool.



Then they started chatting up Bobby Durham whose band, The Tex Pistols, plays in the club. Durham has been in the country music business for forty years. At some point, KS asked Durham if it would be all right for him to play with the band, and Durham said he could come on up during the second set. Durham handed over his axe, and KS sang two songs with the band. I asked hubby what they were and he said something about a fireman, which I take to be George Strait's song, The Fireman. ("Makin' my rounds all over town, puttin' out old flames.") He didn't remember the other song. Country music isn't hubby's strong suit. While I have discreetly avoided using KS' name on the internet (because of the millions who read this blog, of course), I have no problem plastering his face on it.





All in all, not a bad business trip and a unique experience after a hard days' work. Rock on.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad Randy had an opportunity to enjoy himself. He certainly earned it after all the work he has done over the years.

5:12 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

bill - Yes, he has earned it, and he's still working hard. This was a fun gig for them, they had a good time!

6:44 PM  
Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

That sounds like fun. How come my business trips are never that exciting? In fact, I'm writing this as I sit in my boring hotel room on a boring business trip right now. :(

9:44 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

h-man - See, I was thinking about you when Randy was telling me that story. Pack your harmonica on future business trips - you never know what might happen!

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home