Saturday, March 10, 2007

What a Turkey

This post is prompted by Mooselet, whose blog I enjoy, particularly on Saturdays when she posts yummy photos of hunky guys. She lives in Australia, and pointed out in a recent post that Aussies actually eat their national emblem (kangaroo). Which prompted comments regarding our national emblem and the fact that Ben Franklin wanted it to be the turkey.

We live about as north of town as we can get and still be in town. It's almost like living in the country, with everything we need just a few minutes away. Here is the view from our back yard. Basically South Fork.



About a half mile down the road we have this.



It was summer, he was hot. A little further down the road lives a large flock of turkeys. (Are groups of turkeys called flocks?) Hang on, I can figure it out. Jeff's June 6 post featured this web site http://www.buckyogi.com/groupnames/groupnames.html. I see that a group of turkeys is called a rafter, although the reasoning escapes me. Anyway, our rafter of turkeys mostly lives on the north side of the road, but they like this yard, so they cross every once in awhile.



When this many turkeys decide to cross the road, it can take quite some time. I have seen cars backed up for half a mile waiting for the parade to pass. And believe me, you don't want to hit one. They are large and can do considerable damage to an automobile. Which prompted our city fathers to erect this sign.



Which led my visiting sister to ask the following: "Why is there a sign with a picture of a deer leaping onto the back of a turkey?"

I got nothin'.

10 Comments:

Blogger Ashley Lasbury said...

Great sign. We have moose signs here in Maine as well as deer but no turkey. Not that we don't have our share of turkeys but the damage that is done to your car when you hit a moose so far exceeds that done by a turkey our state fathers and mothers must have decided "why bother". Yes, I have had a glass or three of wine. I just survived my 5 year olds birthday party.....

3:49 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

momma - Given the choice between hitting a moose and hitting a turkey, the turkey is the clear winner. Er, loser. Glad you survived the party!

6:27 PM  
Blogger Mooselet said...

Thanks for the shout out!

Funnily enough as I was reading this post, I had the deer/turkey sign just at the bottom and was thinking, "Why is the deer jumping over the turkey? Well, I guess it's one way to avoid waiting..." Then I continued to scroll down and laughed when I read your sister's comment. Great minds think alike, or at least similarly!

5:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I know why we had turkey, when we visited you. Pressed duck is great, but pressed turkey?

1:32 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

That is a strange-looking sign. We have wild turkey running through our yard quite often, but the most I've seen at one time is about 14.

Oh, and I've seen turkeys mating. I'm not impressed with the stamina.

That is all.

6:50 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

mooselet - You're welcome! When I figure out how to link, you will be on my list of good sites. Part of my brain still is computer repellant!

bill - Yeah . . . sorry, I told you that was turkey, but there was this crow . . .

heather - Mating and stamina. . . I wonder if that's what Ben Franklin admired about the bird. I hear he was quite the womanizer. Just saying.

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That figures, It was not the first time I have had to eat crow. Next time I will ask for fish.

6:18 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

bill - Cool, there is a lake across the street. I'll see what I can find. I saw a large tortoise the other day. . .

9:30 AM  
Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

See, that sign there is the exact reason the far right is worried about same sex marriage. Your neighborhood is a good example of where they think it's going to lead... interspecies relations!

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a tortoise story. I saw a giant tortoise by highway 23, so I told my brother in law to stop his new car and open the trunk. I stuck his golf putter in the mouth of the snapping turtle and threw it in the trunk for my friend that eats them. Did you know that a turtle defends itself the same way a skunk does? No, my brother in law was not happy at all!

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home