Sunday, March 18, 2007

Day Tripper

How can you not love that song? Oh, yeah, it's 12:30 AM and I'm awake again. Stupid DST. I'm aware I've referred to it as DSL in my comments. What can I say, I'm sleep deprived.

So I just learned a few weeks ago, after 20+ years of marriage, that my husband hates the Beatles. He isn't borderline, he doesn't find them mildly annoying. He HATES them. I don't know how it is that I remained unaware of this. I mean, really, had I known before the nuptials, this could have been a deal breaker. I've been trying to figure how it could be that a child of the sixties could feel this way.

I'm thinking maybe he had a crush on a girl and "She Loves You" was tops, but she didn't return the feeling, so he associated the rejection with John and Paul. Or maybe he realized that money "Can't Buy Me Love," and resented them for pointing that out. Perhaps he was confused, thinking "Born in the U.S.A" was "Back in the U.S.S.R." (Jeff, I know there is a whole post on the discrepancies here, please don't hate me.) But I have to say, a husband whose wife has a blog should, at the very least, appreciate "Paperback Writer."

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some were suprised when Paul married a woman with one leg. Her divorce settlement proves she was more than a leg up on him.

5:18 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

bill - I could see that divorce coming when they married. She just bears too uncanny a resemblance to Linda Eastman, his wife of 30 years. I'll bet he's using that leg to kick himself for not having a pre-nup.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

I'm not sure what you mean by discrepancies, but I'm with you... how could anyone HATE the Beatles?! Granted, no band has songs where every song is good, but these guys put out hundreds of hits. You'd think that somewhere in there your hubby could find one little ol' song he likes.

Good thing your nuptials includes "for better or worse." ;-b

6:52 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

h-man - I remember a series in your archives about The Boss, so I knew you were a major fan. But I didn't know how you felt about the Beatles, and frankly, I don't trust anyone anymore. You could have been a closet Beatles hater. But I looked at a composite list of Beatles songs and I'll tell you, there are remakes that he likes that he doesn't know are Beatles. Bwahaha!

8:00 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Hates the Beatles? For shame!

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home