Saturday, January 20, 2007

Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen

We are having another bout of weather here in Oklahoma. Last weekend was an ice storm and now it's snow.



It's pretty much just started, and they say we're going to get quite a bit more before it stops. We are stocked up on food and fully prepared to be housebound today and tomorrow. What we were not prepared for was the sudden pixeling of the television picture. OH NO, THERE'S SNOW ON THE DISH! So we bundled up and set out to remedy to problem.




All it took was an extension cord, a trouble light, and a bungee cord. We came back in to check the telly. Picture perfect. The cover had come off the cable box, however. So hubby dug it out of the snow and we found a couple of big rubber bands. Didn't even have to use baling wire or a C-clamp. We did try duct tape, but the box was wet, so it wouldn't stick.




Whew! Dodged a bullet there. (BRB, I have to change the channel. There is a Tom Cruise movie on.) Okay, dodged another bullet. Anyway, all that got me to thinking about our ancestors. The Donners are probably spinning in their graves.



I sure hope we don't lose the internet.

9 Comments:

Blogger Mooselet said...

I sure don't miss real winters! And losing your Internet connection is the kiss of death to be sure.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

mooselet - Snow. Ugh, ugh, with a side of ugh. Wish I were on a beach Down Under right now, looking at some of those skinfest dudes!

1:54 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I remember a few years ago losing power. My husband got the generator going to keep the food in the fridge from spoiling. He also had to get the TV running, so I didn't miss Survivor. I know, I'm sick.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

heather - If it were a Thursday and my daughter and I had to miss The OC, we'd both be in the fetal position. I know. We're sick.

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All that snow should be a blessing for the dry areas that have been hurting. What have you heard?

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All that snow should be a blessing for the dry areas that have been hurting. What have you heard?

9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of snow reminds me of the time when Randy went to have out-patient surgery(I think that's what it was)--and you were going to run down to the hospital to pick him up. It was snowing--I remember that--and we asked if you wanted us to give you a ride. These Duluth hills can be murder in a snowstorm, and you had just moved here that summer. You thanked us and said you'd be fine. It was Halloween and way too early for any serious snow problems!! AND it snowed-and it snowed,and it snowed some more, and you ended up stuck in the hospital for 3 days!!! I think about that every Halloween, I swear!

8:39 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

bill - The good news is that it's really good for the crops. The bad news is that it's really bad for the cattle. Especially in the panhandle, they are having trouble keeping them fed. They have been airlifting hay to them. Poor little cows.

lois - Yeah, I took Randy down Friday morning and we didn't get out until Sunday afternoon. My mother-in-law was stuck in the house with the kids because the snow had piled up against both doors to the outside. Bill rallied the neighbors and they all came over with snowblowers and dug them out! That stupid snow didn't go away until the end of April.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

well I suppose those of you who live in very snowy climates do get tired of it but my family sure would like to get one big snow a year to go play in! We actually enjoy being snowed in. Build a romping fire in the woodstove, heat the hot cocoa and break out the board games after playing out in it all day. Doesn't happen often enough here in southern IL!
I love the ingenius idea of the trouble light on the dish! You are such a hoot! :0)

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home