Saturday, January 27, 2007

Gramps



That is what my son calls my father-in-law, Gramps. He is also known as Bob, or Dad. Tomorrow is his birthday, so I thought I would write a post in honor of the occasion.

I met Dad 24 years ago when I was dating his son. He flew himself, his wife and two daughters to El Paso in a blizzard. They didn't actually get to land in El Paso, but that is a different story. The next time I saw him was six months later, when he flew to El Paso for our wedding. A month later, my new hubby and I went to Minnesota for a reception and our honeymoon to the Boundary Waters, with my new in-laws and another couple. (Yes, I went on my honeymoon with my in-laws. They made us put our tent far away from the other two.)

Bob has five kids and ten grandkids, and family is the most important thing to him. He has set a wonderful example for all of us. He is the most honest man I have ever known. He is a charter member of his church and has spent thousands of hours volunteering there. He also volunteers for Habitat for Humanity and probably other places I am not even aware of. His generosity is amazing.





That's him with my son on the left, and with his first ever granddaughter on the right. He and Grandma flew to El Paso shortly after they were each born. In fact, they flew to El Paso a lot. Also, to Oklahoma every year for my daughter's dance recital. Which is why there are a lot of pictures like this around.



In short, Gramps has been a kind and benevolent patriarch, fun to be around, and easy to talk to. So Dad, I hope you have a great birthday and many more to come. We love you!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Bob. I suspect you are the one that taught Randy how to be such a great pilot. Linda may become very busy with her blog now that both Jeff and Jennine have taken time off. You are number one now Linda whether you want it or not.--Bill

7:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Bob. I've heard so many nice things about you, over the years I've known Linda. It sure would be fun to meet you some day!!!

7:49 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

bill and lois - The Jeff/Jennine departure is very depressing. But yeah, I'm still here and I appreciate you reading and commenting!

9:13 AM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

Such kind words. There is nothing like a father/father-in-law that sets such a great example of love for his family. Mark's Dad is like that. We are truly blessed. Happy Birthday Bob!

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home