Sunday, January 14, 2007

A Good Walk Spoiled

I used to hate golf with the white hot passion of a thousand suns. Mostly because I was really bad at it. Up until a couple of years ago, I had only played golf about five times in my life, always as a favor to my husband, who actually enjoyed it. Shortly after we moved into this house, he asked me if I wanted to go to the driving range with him. I thought it was an odd request, but I was fairly stressed out at the time, and I thought smacking something might be fun. Turns out it was quite therapeutic. I went a few more times and then hubby asked if I wanted to play nine holes on a par three course. I agreed and, much to my surprise, I actually liked it. I think it was because I didn't care if I was good or not, and neither did he. We started to go on a regular basis and I found that, not only was I having fun, I was getting better.

We are very fortunate in that our location is about ideal if you like golf. This is where we usually play, about a seven minute drive from our house.




It's on the edge of town, with rolling hills, interesting vegetation, and a variety of birds and animals. It's quiet most of the time. Hubby and I walk instead of riding a cart, which gives us a good four mile hike for nine holes. It's cheap and we never need a tee time. We get to spend time together in the fresh air and smack a lot of balls. We are able to play most of the year because our weather tends to be mild.



Crikey, there's a croc in the water!


There are a lot of houses around the golf course and they are building more. The realtor's slogan is "What's the view from your backyard?" It might be fun to live in one of those houses. Or maybe not.



If I had to clean one of these, I would never have time to play golf.



I'm not sure this post has a point. It's just that today, this is the view from my yard.



Cabin fever and golf withdrawal. A dangerous combination. I'll be like Jack Nicholson in The Shining, only instead of an axe, I'll be wielding a five iron. Maybe I'd better turn on the television and see if Tiger is playing somewhere.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Danny and I used to play golf every once in a while, but he is the kind that gets frustrated when he can't "win" every time. So, we haven't played in about 10 years.However, Danny entered a putting contest at the NAPA marketing conference in November, and he placed 2nd and won $750 worth of gift cards from Calloway. So he now owns about $1000, worth of clubs, since he only could buy irons from Calloway for $750. He also had to have a putter, a bag, shoes, balls, tees, etc. Now we shall see if he actually uses them when it warms up this spring. I still have my old cheap clubs, and maybe he will take me once in a while. I can usually make a par 3 in 7 or 8 strokes....LOL

5:13 PM  
Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Seriously? You have more snow than we do here! What's going on?!!!

7:21 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

di - I hope he puts all that equipment to good use. Start out at Golden Oaks, you can make par in 5 or 6!

h-man - Seriously, this is not funny. You were complaining about not having a white Christmas and we have this. It's not even snow, it's an accumulation of SLEET. But the bottom line is, it's keeping me from my golf and I'm pissed. But we didn't lose power. So maybe it's a wash.

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right, golf is a good stress reliever. I remember golfing with you and Dad after one of my therapeutic road trips to Stillwater, and it was pretty much just what I needed. Not to mention the groundskeeper wasn't too bad on the eyes.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

jazz - yeah, I remember that groundskeeper was keeping his eye on your . . . um, game.

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill loves to golf, and he's often asked me to go with, and I always say "No". But you've made playing golf sound like FUN---I'm thinking next spring, when golf season starts--I'll say "Yes"!!!! Thanks!!!

1:26 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

lois - I always feel blessed after a game. Blessed for time with Randy, for good health, and for nature. Our course is beautiful and we see pheasants, bunnies, and there are hawks that live on some of the holes. Even if I get a bad score, it's all worth it. I think you would like it!

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home