Sunday, January 07, 2007

Weird X 6 = Me

So Jeff tagged me with a meme. The topic of the meme is six things about me that are weird. I thought that might be a challenge, but it was frighteningly simple to come up with half a dozen things about me that make other people go "Wait, what??" What's even more frightening is that most people I know could probably come up with stuff that hasn't even crossed my mind. Anyway, here is my short list.

1. When I drink through a straw, I make a funny noise. The roof of my mouth must be oddly shaped, because I get a high-pitched whistling sound. My daughter pointed it out last summer, when I was sucking down a cherry limeade. I was aware of it, but didn't realize other people don't actually do that.

2. I play Solitaire in my sleep. I like to play Free Cell online. If I play it too close to drifting off, I end up dreaming that I am playing a hand. The problem with this is that I can never win, because I'm sleeping. It's like hitting "Replay Hand" a gazillion times, or until I wake up, whichever comes first.



3. I'm claustrophobic. I know, lots of people are afraid of closed-in spaces. That's not what I'm talking about. Sleeping bags, no. Driving in the car with a coat on, unthinkable. Don't even talk to me about hats. I tried on a dress that had no zippers, just pull it over your head, almost ripped it to shreds trying to get it off. Not a big fan of gloves or shoes, now that you mention it. This was a very bad thing when we lived in Minnesota. There was one year when the wind chills were something like seventy below for about six weeks and I had to put on everything I owned just to get the mail. Shudder. I still have nightmares.

4. I can close off my sense of smell. Totally. Something mystical happens at the top of the back of my throat and odor just goes away. This has served me well on numerous occasions. I don't know how I would have made it through diapers and my offsprings' bouts of stomach flu without it.

5. I am somewhat psychic. My maternal grandmother had an other-worldly quality that seems to have been passed on to me. Not like reading Tarot cards and such, just that she sensed things to which others seemed oblivious. I think I have passed it to my daughter, because our brains are so much in sync it's almost creepy. I will have my hand on the phone to call her and it will ring, and it's her. "Hey, how's it going, I was just going to call you." "Yeah, I know." We watch the TV or movies, something happens onscreen, we make the same comment, at the same time, in the same tone. My husband of 23 plus years can't tell us apart on the phone. This sixth sense led me to move to the shoulder of a hilly, sparsely traveled road on a hunch. I felt stupid, but I stayed on the shoulder. Coming up over a rise, I faced a truck illegally passing another truck, which would have certainly hit and probably killed me and my unborn son had I stayed in the lane(and I didn't even know he was in there yet!). So, yeah, it's weird, but I tend to trust it.

Me

Ghost Whisperer




6. I have saved the weirdest for last. I had a twin brother who was stillborn. I was a member of Twinless Twins for a few years, and I went to a convention in Chicago one summer. There was a woman there who was doing a study of twinless twins, and she asked those of us who had stillborn twins to fill out a survey. One of the questions asked if we had "twinning behaviors." After thinking about it, I realized that I did. I "twin" letters. Mostly on signs when I'm out and about, but on other things, also. KFC is just plain bad, there's no way, one of the letters is left out. IHOP is perfect. McDonald's is a dilemma, because the only way you can make twins of everything is if you include the apostrophe. Which is do-able, but, geez, it's so little. Jeff, aren't you glad you asked?

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget that you eat your hamburgers upside down. That's pretty strange, if you ask me. Of course, I don't have much room to talk about other people being weird...
P.S. That picture of the Ghost Whisperer and the one of you are amazingly similar. That freaks me OUT.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

jess - Whatever, I still don't understand how you can eat an upside down hamburger. Also, my second toe is longer than my big toe. That's a sign of intelligence, just for the record. Yeah, that's why your dad loves that GW character - she looks like me (a few years ago), and she's weird.

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, all I can see is, I sure wish I had the gift of closing off my sense of smell. That would have come in handy through many diaper changes in my job. HA!

10:41 AM  
Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Holy crap - I thought I looked like a someone famous (Alton Brown) but you take the celebrity look-a-like contest here!

I'm not sure I get how the "twin letters" thing works. Can you elborate?

And yes, I'm VERY glad I asked :-)

12:12 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

tracy - you said it! You'd probably spend 8 hours a day with your nose shut off!

jeff - basically, all words should have an even number of letters, so they all have a twin. So elaborate is bad because one of the e's becomes twinless. But elborate is good because there is a twin for everyone. Therefore,I think the spelling of that word should be changed. Twin behaviors can be quite odd. I guess I kind of do have a twin there in Jennifer Love Hewitt. Or did, cuz I don't look like that anymore!

4:17 PM  
Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

So basically, even-lettered words are good and odd-lettered words are bad. That's unfortunate L.i.n.d.a.

Ok, maybe now I'm just a little sorry I asked.

5:00 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

j.e.f.f. - dude, you can't do it with names. That would be weird.

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When we get older, beauty will fade. It then sinks inside, providing we have been doing the right things for God and man. Of course you have not reached that old point yet!!

6:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I know this has been posted for a while, but I just got a chance to comment. Mandy and I do the phone thing all the time, but it still freaks me out every time it happens. Danny has always been able to read my mind (practically word for word) so Mandy must get the psychic thing from him. I don't have it except with Mandy. We both like Ghost Whisperer, but I think Danny really likes it because of the way she dresses....LOL. You do have an uncanny resemblence to " J Love", though. And I still don't understand the "twin letters" thing. Oh, well. Enjoy the storm. Di

9:06 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

bill - I'm starting to get an inkling of the "old point." Having more senior moments every year!

di - Most people don't get the twin stuff, unless they are twins. I tried to explain the letters thing to my sister a few years ago and got a blank stare. Yeah, I think Randy likes the way J-Love dresses, also! And the storm can leave any time. Just hoping the power doesn't.

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom, you really do eat hamburgers upside-down... I have to agree with Jessica on this one.

And you're definitely a lot prettier than jennifer love-hewitt.

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home