Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Home for Christmas

Trevin told me he was bored and that it's time to get off my butt and write a blog post. Okay, he was not that rude about it, but I get the point. I still have a couple of stories from the cruise, but I had one other thing that I wanted to get on here, because it's something that is very near and dear to my heart.

I have been on the Board of Directors of Youth and Family Services for several years. Our agency provides counseling for children and families, parenting classes, anger management, to name a few. We also provide a shelter for children who literally have nowhere else to go. Our shelter is about 35 years old, so you can imagine it's not in the best shape. Several years ago, just before the holidays, the children were playing games in the living room, and the Christmas tree suddenly fell through the floor. Several areas of the kitchen are unusable because they violate one code or another.

We spent two years on a capital campaign, during which we raised 1.3 million dollars. Our ground breaking ceremony was way last fall, and then nothing happened for months. Finally, construction started, and we saw progress being made. The past few weeks have seen a new roof, brick exterior, and carpet, flooring and tile samples. Yesterday, after our Board meeting, several of us donned hard hats and toured the construction site.





It was so exciting to see our dream taking shape, to imagine a beautiful place that will shelter children and heal families. And the best part is that it will be done before Christmas. Right up there, in front of that window, we are going to put a Christmas tree. There will be another one in the living room, which will have a concrete floor, covered with carpeting, and will be surrounded by gifts and safe, warm children.

15 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

That's so awesome.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

heather - Thanks, I think when we have our ribbon cutting, I'm going to turn into a blubbering fool.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

What a jolly Christmas you'll have! Do you need decorations for the tree?

8:03 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

janet - We might, I'll keep you in mind!

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THAT IS SO GREAT! It will be a much brighter Christmas for those families this year thanks to people like you!

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You had such a big part in all that, and it's awesome to see your eyes light up when you talk about it. I'm so proud you're my mom!

10:29 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

di - I wish we didn't have the need for shelters, but since we do, I'm so glad to be able to help make it happen.

jess - Wow, you just made my day! It was fun taking you and Nicky through yesterday.

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you . That filled about 5 minutes worth of boredom. I'm not quite sure why I am complaining. I have my ipod in my ear, cranked to some nice soothing Kid rock :-p and sitting on muh ass. Work still blows though! I'll be a seein ye this weekend! Much love! Lata.
Trev

1:36 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

trev - Well, five minutes is five minutes. :-) See you this weekend, drive carefully!

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG---as Heather said,(and I was going to) that is so awesome. I knew you were involved with homeless children and families, but I never dreamed it was so big and so much. Congratulations on your new building---it is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Lois

5:09 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

lois - I can't wait for it to be done. The children we shelter have been through the unspeakable, the least we can give them is a nice place to live.

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your whole community has a right to be proud. I am pleased to say in a couple of weeks I will be selling hot dogs and brats without any expense for four days in ten supermarkets. Thirty some thousand dollars will be donated to those wonderful Shriner free hospitals for children by us Knights of Columbus. We have been able to donate over $130,000.00 in ten years. Hurrah to your group again-=Bill

6:41 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

bill - You have been very dedicated with your hot dog and brat sales, and have done some wonderful work for children. I hope you exceed your expectations!

8:54 AM  
Blogger KiddoKare1 said...

What a blessing you are to those children in need.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Wow, that's gorgeous. I can't even imagine how rewarding that is for you. Congratulations!

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home