Sunday, March 02, 2008

Whose Side Are You On?

About half a dozen people have pointed out that I have been neglecting the blog. So, while I am keeping an eye on the television, waiting to see whether a tornado is going to materialize, I will remedy the situation.

The title of this post does not refer to the upcoming election. It has to do with a much deeper and more serious question. Which side of the bed is yours, and, is it necessary to even have a side?

Hubby doesn't think people need to have a side that they always sleep on. A chiropractor that we had in Wichita vindicated him by telling us that he made his wife switch sides every three months. To which I replied that his wife is nicer than I am. I also had a conversation with my current chiropractor, whose wife isn't a fan of sides. He, however, is of the opinion that not having a side is sheer insanity. Like hubby, his wife would have a difficult time prying his fingers from the sheets on HIS SIDE of the bed.

Having said that, we have mitigating circumstances. Hubby has something of a snoring problem some nights. What bothers me about it is that he stops breathing and I know that isn't good for him. What I used to do is to gently roll him over onto his side and he would stop. Apparently, I wasn't rolling as gently as I thought, or else he just plain didn't like it. Because one night, after I did it, a very digruntled voice pierced the darkness. And it said, "I could be in my coffin and you'd be rolling me onto my side!" Gee, Honey, why don't you say what you really mean?

So, the next time he was holding his breath, I got out of bed, went over to his side and got in. Which caused him to turn on his side so he could snuggle. Which turned out to be a better solution. I can never stay on his side of the bed for long. We have adjustable mattresses, and, after while on his, my ribs start to hurt and I have to go back to the sane side of the bed where the firmness of the mattress is adjusted correctly.

So, we seem to have made peace with our sides of the bed and what to do with a snoring spouse. Which is good, because our last resort is a bedroom like Lucy and Ricky had. Nobody wants that.

11 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Well, aren't you just a smartie coming up with a nice solution like that?

My husband has sleep apnea as well, and he got a CPAP machine after his visit to the sleep clinic (which took me about 2 years of nagging to get him to go to). Now he can't sleep without it.

And it's much quieter.

I sleep on the left as you're looking at the bed, by the way. (In our bed.) If we're visiting someplace I usually end up closest to the door, whatever side that happens to be. Don't know why, but that's how we roll... er...lay... ha ha.

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, don't be so sure NOBODY wants that! :p

5:41 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

heather - Tried to get hubby to a sleep clinic but he pretends not to hear me. Interesting that you end up closest to the door. Is that the way in your bedroom? Maybe it's not which side you're on, just how close you are to getting out. I won't tell Jeff you said "how we roll" because, well, you know.

jess - As I've said many times, you can think of your parents doing it and think of your kids doing it. Been to both and like the latter less.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

That "how we roll" thing wasn't from me personally, but someone did list it on my annoyances post. So I guess I'm guilty by association.

Char is like Heather though... she always has to sleep on the "open" side (the side that's not up against a wall) or the side closest to the door. So we only have a specific side at our own house.

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you read the adds, you will see a lot of slightly used twin beds for sale.

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since day one,Bill's slept on the left---when we travel too--and we've tried switching and it's a "No Go"! Isn't it weird how you can get into such a habit, you can't change? (Sure was fun to have Curtis and Christine for a visit!!!! So you are going to be a mother-in-law!!! Congratulations!!

8:23 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

jeff - Maybe it's a mom thing being close to the door. That way, you are nearer to the kids. That's how we moms roll.

bill - Even if I lived alone, I wouldn't have a twin bed. I think I'd rather sleep in my recliner.

lois - Thanks, it's pretty exciting! I lived next door to an excellent mother-in-law role model once.

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always sleep on the right side of the bed.(Which is not the closest to the door.) We even tried changing sides of the bed a few months ago, and after 2 or 3 nights, we changed back. Neither one of us could sleep that way. I also have to sleep on my right side. I will lay on my back or left side for a little while, but I cannot go to sleep until I roll over on my right side. Oh, and tell Curtis congratulations!

10:06 AM  
Blogger KiddoKare1 said...

I have to sleep on the left side of the bed. We've tried switching for various reasons and it just doesn't work. LOL. As for the snoring and sleep apnea problem, Tom has looked into the sleep clinics but our insurance doesn't cover it and it is very expensive.

4:49 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

di - I sleep better on my right side, too. I only roll over when my old bones get tired of one position.

tracy - Switching sides and switching pillows - both bad ideas.

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will have a twin bed when you get to a rest home, like it or not!---Bill

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home