Saturday, March 15, 2008

Road Trip

Jess and I got up five-thirty to sixish this morning, picked up some lattes, and headed for Galveston. It was pretty much an ordinary road trip, changing radio stations when the static got too bad, okay traffic except for Dallas. Stopped for lunch a little late (because I wanted to get through Dallas) so we were starving and stuffed ourselves.

About two and a half hours north of Houston, we were in pretty heavy traffic, admiring a cute little irridescent purple bug, when Jess said, "Oh my gosh, look!" A big, black pickup truck had just passed us. Inside were three young cowboys, who were holding up a sign that said "Call me" with a phone number. We couldn't read it, so I sped up a little until we were side by side and Jessica put the number in her phone. Then she dialed it and 'Matt' answered. They introduced themselves, had a nice little conversation. She told him we were going to Galveston to go on a cruise, he told her they were going to a wedding in Houston and then on to Galveston later tonight. I was cracking up the whole time.

After she got off the phone, she texted her dad and told him about the phone number in the window. He texted back: "Did you moon them? It's spring break, after all." (I don't know what HE used to do, but I never mooned anyone on spring break.) She texted back: "Moon them? Hell no, I called them." Except when she sent it, it didn't go to her dad, it went to Matt, which she quickly realized. "Oh, NO!" By this time I am laughing so hard tears are running down my face. I think maybe we'd been in the car a little too long.

Anyway, Matt and his peeps are en route to Galveston and are going to stop by the hotel and say howdy. I guess you can never have too many crazy friends.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I have tears running down my face from laughing! I love the way you write so that I feel like I am right there with you. Who knows, this might be the start of a wonderful friendship, or the start of a nightmare story... be careful ....LOL

8:25 AM  
Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

In the old days a "call me" note used to involve getting to a phone sometime later that night or the next day. Having instant response kind of puts a whole new spin on things eh?

In Japan kids are sending out Blue Tooth signals via their phones that they are "available" somewhere nearby and then you can choose to import their picture if you want. If you like what you see you can call them and hook up. God only knows how it's going to work in another 10 years!

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank goodness you did not moon anyone on your spring breaks; I think the world is a much happier place because of it.

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear how it turned out---meeting Matt! Wouldn't it be something, if SOMETHING came because of this? Lois

12:43 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

di - Yeah, I was there the whole time in the hotel. They were college kids from Dallas wrapping up their spring break. Very nice, respectful boys!

jeff - In another ten years I'll probably have to worry about the impact it's having on my grandchildren.

curt - Hey, my butt was a lot different then.

lois - They really were nice guys. Jess met a few more nice guys on the cruise. I've got pictures. Stay tuned.

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home