Wednesday, February 06, 2008

The Vows Say Nothing About the Price of Tuna

Overheard at the grocery store, a conversation between a couple that I suspect have been married for at least sixty years:

He: "Here it is, it's 68 cents," pointing to a can of tuna.

She: "It's supposed to be 79 cents!"

He: "But it's 68 cents, that's better."

She: "I'm not buying it here. It's supposed to be 79 cents. I'll buy it at United."

He: "But if you buy it here, you'll save 11 cents."

She: Quite indignant. "I would NOT!"

He: "Yes, you would."

She: "It's FIFTY-NINE CENTS!"

He: Quite confused. "Fifty-nine? You said seventy-nine."

She: "I did NOT!" Starts on down the aisle pushing the cart. He's following and mumbling.

"I don't know why you don't just buy it here . . . "

I am cracking up. And wondering how long before hubby and I will have conversations like that in the grocery store. Oh, wait . . .

11 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

that's hilarious. You know you've been together a long time when it's worth fighting over the price of a can of tuna...and that's the biggest thing that you fight about.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

heather - It sounded so much like a convo my grandparents would have had. You know they went to United, bought the 59 cent tuna, had it for lunch and talked about how bad it was.

7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last Friday Lois and I went to the Country Buffet for supper. After a long line, we saw the sign--NO CHECKS. I told Lois to give them our Visa and I would find a table. Guess what, it had expired the day before. One man in line said, I'll pay his bill, and another threw down a $20. I repaid him $22the next day. There still are a lot of wonderful people out there!-Bill

7:58 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

bill - Yes, there are. We encounter kindness wherever we go. And I know if that had been someone else and you were in line behind them, it would have been you throwing down a $20.

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL....If Mom and Arnold were still alive, I would swear that was them! Maybe it was their ghosts!!!!

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too funny!!! God forbid, but somehow it reminds me of Bill and me!!! Lois

4:28 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

di - No, I know what they looked like and it wasn't them! See below.

lois - I think when you've been together that long, the big things to argue about take too much energy. So you fight about stuff like tuna.

7:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

rick said...
Lois and Bill could keep that conversation going for a whole afternoon.

6:44 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

rick - I could see that. But Lois would win in the end because she would have coupons.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Good story Linda.

I'm wise beyond my years because I've already learned the key to a successful marriage... the magic phrase, "perhaps you're right dear."

6:10 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

jeff - You are a wise man. Good luck with the floors.

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home