Sunday, April 22, 2007

Up and Down Route 66

So I drove west on Route 66, stayed in New Mexico for a few days, and drove back east to Oklahoma. Spending a couple of days in a heart hospital and another couple in a rehabilitation hospital has a way of making you think deeply, profoundly and philosophically about your life, how you're living it, and your choices. Choices about health, about religion, about family. But that's subject for other posts. This one is about something else. For a long time, I have been the photographer of interesting signs. Turns out there are quite a few on Route 66. Here are a few that I caught on camera.

I wasn't aware that we had a state animal, but apparently we do. Interestingly enough, there were no buffalo (actually, they're bison) anywhere to be seen. I imagine they were out roaming, possibly playing with the deer and the antelope. Oh, as you can see, the sky was cloudy all day.

Now this is something you don't see every day. It's out by the cadillac ranch west of Amarillo.


I wonder if they offer high speed internet.

There used to be a sign near there that had an arrow pointing down the road and it said, "Bates Motel, We Have Showers." I've always regretted that my camera was inaccessible at the time.

I think this is my favorite from this particular trip, however. And I have to ask. Who would eat at a place with this name?



"Yes, I'll have frog legs as an appetizer, followed by some livers and gizzards, some calf fries, and maybe some of that chili pie for dessert." Yum, yum.


11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like there is a market for some better looking signs on that dried up landscape. They were not kidding when it was said the state blew away. Ha, Ha. That ought to get a rise out of you Sooners.

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you are back, safe and sound!!That's a long drive for someone all alone.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

bill - The Sooners have a very crude saying about our weather. The reason it's always windy in Oklahoma is because Kansas blows and Texas sucks. Okay then.

lois - Thanks, it was a trick keeping the van on the road with the crosswinds. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers!

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Linda I have been by the Squawk -N- Skoot in El Reno many times, and I have always wondered the same thing!! Of course I don't think I will ever be brave enough to stop and try any of their delicacies...LOL Welcome home, I am glad you had a safe trip, and I hope your Mom is doing better

7:07 PM  
Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Are you kidding? I would PURPOSELY eat at the Squawk-N-Skoot just because of how it's named.

One of the things I've always wanted to do is ride Route 66 on my motorcycle. Someday.

7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate all billboards and signs that pollute our beautiful nation.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

di - Mom was making significant progress when I left. The doc says she should be able to go home and be better than before the surgery. About the Squawk - N - Skoot - there's something alarming about that huge chicken popping out at you!

h-man - I would bet the food there is really good, actually. I just don't want to get the skoots afterwards, especially not when I have another 8 hours on Route 66.

bill - I don't like them, either. Too bad there are so many.

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, Tom always has some crude remark to make when we drive by that Squawk-n-Scoot sign on our way to my parent's house.

Glad you made it back safely and your mom is doing better.

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched some farms in Iowa on a windy day and saw dirt being blown away. I think they have cleared too much and could end up creating another dust bowl situation.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Those are some interesting signs. I never have a camera when I see signs like that...darn.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

tracy - The name of that place invites hundreds of crude remarks!

bill - I just hope Iowa doesn't blow down here. Whenever we drive through it, the weather is always crappy.

heather - My camera and I are usually connected at the hip. Much like my daughter and her cell phone. :-)

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home