Thursday, March 18, 2010

Random

Jess and I left Enid last Saturday, driving west. We gained an hour when we crossed into New Mexico. Of course, that was the day we kicked into DST, so we were supposed to spring ahead that night. We were so cocky about the fact that DST was not, for once, going to affect us, because we just got back our hour by being in a different time zone. Yeah, that was all well and good. Except that yesterday, we continued driving west into Arizona, where they don't fart around with the whole DST thing, so we gained another hour. Very cool. Until we drive home this weekend and LOSE TWO HOURS. We're screwed.

Anyway, this was yesterday. I had heard about this place, La Posada, on NPR, long story, but it was a fancy hotel during the depression where a lot of celebrities stayed because it was right on the railroad tracks. It was a Harvey hotel. At some point it was gutted and used for the railroad offices. Then someone bought it cheap and restored it close to its original self. We ate lunch in The Turquoise Room and it was fabulous. We are having such good food on this trip, I don't know what I'm going to do when I get home. Hamburger Helper ain't going to cut it.



La Posada is in Winslow, Arizona, and you know what you have to do if you are in Winslow, Arizona. That's right. You stand on the corner.



It's a girl, my Lord, in a flat bed Ford.



On the way up to the Grand Canyon we passed Fred's diner (as in Flintstone) and had to take some pics. Such kitsch.



Then we did sunset at the GC.



All in all a wonderful day. When Sleeping Beauty wakes up (the altitude is kicking her butt) we are headed back to the GC for sight seeing and hiking. Then home tomorrow where we will surely feel the full effects of DST and time travel!

9 Comments:

Blogger KiddoKare1 said...

It took me a minute to get the "standing on a corner" picture. LOL.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

tracy - Yeah, it's a big deal in Winslow, all right!

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Lois said...

HELLO!!!! I kept checking--and checking---and CHECKING---your blog and there was never anything, I mean---you go way back to Jan.13, before you started this wonderful trip. Oh gee--do I ever envy you. Wish I could've gone along!!! And what beautiful pictures---loved seeing the staircase in the Loretta Chapel--we have been there too. SO---am glad you're back----I really missed you. I'd kinda given up checking for your blog, so I came running, when Bill said "Did you see the pictures Linda sent?" I love you, you know!!!

6:23 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

lois - Yeah, I know I had slacked off on the blog. Kind of got into a rut with the work stuff. When we were on vacation my creative side crept out again, so hopefully I will remember to tap into it. I know you have been to the Loretta Chapel - it's just so amazing. I'm glad you are still a fan and I love you too!

11:18 PM  
Blogger KiddoKare1 said...

Linda, where are you? I miss you! LOL.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

tracy - Working! I'll try to get back on soon, thanks for missing me. :-)

8:06 AM  
Blogger KiddoKare1 said...

Totally understand! Hope things are going well for you!

12:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

SERVICE EXCELLENT sac a main Guess 2012 !Communication Grande, FAST, serait def faire des affaires avec a nouveauchaussure burberry homme !

1:22 AM  
Anonymous Access 2010 Product Key said...

For Microsoft Project 2010 Download, all tabs and groups on the ribbon are fully customizable. If your organization has features unique to its business, you can group them on their own ribbon tab.
Microsoft Project 2010 Download includes a timeline view that is automatically displayed above other views, showing a concise overview of the entire schedule. You can add tasks to the timeline and even print it for an attractive summary report of the entire project. Or you can paste it into an e-mail for an instant report with no fuss.

11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home