Sunday, February 03, 2008

The End . . . Almost

We spent the night in Las Cruces and the next day drove around to see how much things were different. Which was a lot. From there, we drove over the Organ Mountains, named because they supposedly look like organ pipes. I used to rock climb up there. What an idiot. Back then, I probably would have taken that Bright Angel Trail at the Grand Canyon. Ah, youth.



Then we went through White Sands and Alamogordo, then up 54 back to I-40 into Oklahoma where we could go north to home. US 54 is an interesting road between Alamogordo and Santa Rosa. Mainly because there is NOTHING there. Oh, there are a couple of 'towns,' but you can drive there in the dark and see no lights for hours. There was some construction on one part of the road, so we had to stop until the 'guide car' came for us. In the meantime, on a not that cold day, we encountered this.



He would look up the road and then turn around and stare at us. Okay, he was probably looking down the road, but I swear it looked liked he was staring at us. I'm not prone to paranoia, but after awhile, like five minutes of this, I turned to hubby and said, "I feel like I'm in a horror movie." After which, he very slowly turned to me, so as not to annoy the whatever, and said, "It's pretty creepy." Well, of course, I had to take a picture for the blog, but we were right in front of him and I knew he could see us taking a picture. There was nothing else to be taking a picture of, so he had to know it was of him. So I was ascared. But it's the blog, so I did it anyway.

We finally got through without carnage and drove until dark. Which was Tucumcari. What a nightmare. DUN, DUN, DUN!

5 Comments:

Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

I also have a problem taking pictures of people I want to blog about. I always feel like they're going to run up to me and start yelling at me or something. So good job takin one for the blog. That's the spirit!

9:31 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

You mean like that dude in the cape that stands on the corner in St. Cloud?

I locked the doors before I snapped the picture.

3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is too funny!!! It's been so fun--reading about your trip! Keep on blogging, please----love "hearing" from you!

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

West of Albuquerque there is a city in the sky called Acoma. We were on the two lane road that led to that ancient hilltop city when two dogs ran out on to the road and stopped traffic from both directions. A sheepherder came out of the brush and crossed his herd without even looking to the right or left. I have a picture of both dogs in the road before the sheep showed up. It was a wonder to behold!-Bill

2:56 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

lois - I have one more story from the trip, I'll try to post this evening.

bill - I would like to see that picture. Sounds like down the road from us when the turkeys cross and stop traffic for half a mile!

6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home