Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Suite and Sour

So after the ordeal with checking in, we were given our room key. And not a little credit card like thing. Well, see for yourself. I considered it a good sign that we were not also presented with a paper clip or told that the room couldn't be locked from the outside.

Now when someone says "suite," I picture walking into a small living room like area with a foldout sofa, desk, chair and a television. Maybe a sink, fridge, microwave and coffe pot. Then there is a separate bedroom with a bed, desk, chair, and an armoire with a television. And, of course, a bathroom in there somewhere. What we walked into was a normal sized hotel room with a bed, armoire with television, desk, chair and a small non-foldoutable loveseat. In the corner was a mini fridge with a small microwave atop it. It was okay, but I definitely would not call it an executive suite. It did have some interesting features, however.

Random stuff lying around.

Questionable light fixtures.

And our very own Jiminy Cricket in the bathtub. Not to mention the large stain I spotted on the bedspread while we were sitting on it watching t.v. Hubby thanked me for pointing it out. But I think he was being sarcastic.

One thing that was conspicuous in its absence was . . . a clock. No clock of any kind anywhere. We resorted to hubby's palm pilot and my cell phone for alarms. But the getting up time was crucial, and there is something comforting about waking up and seeing the big red time flashing at you. Consequently, hubby's sleep wasn't as restful as it could have been.

We planned on going to the lobby and having the continental breakfast. Our room was right over the lobby and, while I was dressing, I started smelling burnt coffee. I had seen pictures of a continental breakfast at the front desk, complete with cereal, fruit, juice and coffee. They must have stolen the pictures from another hotel. What we walked into was burnt coffee and a bunch of greasy donuts. Fortunately, there was a small diner across the parking lot and breakfast was saved. I dropped hubby off, went back and hung out until checkout time and took hubby a sandwich for lunch. Then I went to an 850 booth arts and crafts fair, bought Christmas gifts and ate greasy fair food. At least it ended well.

Today is my first year blog anniversary. To all of you who read, and especially to those of you who comment, a great big THANK YOU!

12 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Wow. Nice place. I'll be sure to look it up.

Okay, probably not then.

Happy Blogiversary!

6:38 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

heather - We're close enough you can stay with us. I promise to keep the crickets out. Thanks for staying with me!

7:31 PM  
Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Ewww, the cricket would have been the deal buster for me. I HATE crickets.

Cool about your anniversary! I've been loving every minute of your first year. Keep it up!

7:10 AM  
Blogger KiddoKare1 said...

Happy blogiversary, Linda.

Wow, and they would have charged you $40 more for the cricket and the loveseat. LOL.

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to think what the regular room would have looked like!! Anyway, HAPPY BLOGIVERSARY!!!!!!!

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe the cricket was your conscience like in Pinocchio. He was probably telling you you should have booked a better hotel.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

jeff - Thanks, you are my blog guru. I would say you can call me grasshopper, but that would be too much like a cricket.

tracy - If they had charged us $40 more, I would have comped myself the keychain. That's hot.

di - I don't even want to know what the other rooms looked like!

dan - But if we'd booked a better hotel, there would be nothing to blog about. "When you wish upon a star . . . "

2:20 AM  
Blogger yoo hoo said...

You keep writing and we'll keep reading...deal? Have B-day on the Blog.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

carla - That's a deal I can't refuse!

8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy blogiversary,Hon. You don't know how much I've enjoyed reading your blog, and how dissapointed I am when there isn,t a new one!! I love you---you know!!!! Keep up the fun and wonderful blogging!

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I swear we will buy a black light next time we check a room.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

lois - Right back at you! You know you are one of my favorite people EVER. I'm so glad you read the blog!

bill - Yup, just leave it in your suitcase.

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home