Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Gettin' Our Kicks

We left for a vacation on New Year's Day. Which means multiple blog posts over the next week. About driving, hotels, eating establishments, and lots of photos. This is a short one, because I drove all day and I'm ready to hit the sack. We started out going south to I-40, which used to be Route 66, one of my favorite places. We stopped in Shamrock, Texas, because our daughter was visiting her boyfriend there, who was doing pipeline work just north. It was, of course, January 1st, so pretty much the only place open to eat was McDonald's. But on the way to brunchfest, we encountered something pretty cool.

Apparently, this particular building was featured in the Disney movie "Cars." I haven't seen the movie, so I wouldn't know. But here it is, in all its glory. Seems it houses the offices of the Chamber of Commerce and a gift shop. I think it's neat that it's still around.



That is the first installment of the 2008 vacation. Oh, but just wait.

6 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

We have seen CARS about 4000 times. The building looks familiar, but I can't place it for sure. Maybe it's Flo's Diner in the movie.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

heather - You're probably right - I'm going to have to rent the movie and check it out!

8:24 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

heather - Okay, I rented the movie. The building in the picture is Ramone's House of Body Art in the movie. Just FYI. :-)

12:16 PM  
Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Wow, I can't believe I haven't been back here you posted this. Your vacation sounds interesting. Can't wait to see the other installments. For which I'll be back. I promise. :-)

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't seen the movie CARS yet, either, but I really want to. I guess I will have to borrow it from Hailee. i am sure she has got it. I am so jealous of your vacation. A 3 day weekend every once in a while is all we ever get to take. Maybe someday we can retire and actually take a vacation. Of course we will probably be able to use handicap parking by the time that happens....LOL

11:54 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

jeff - It was interesting, fodder for several more blog posts!

di - Yeah, I guess you really can't just turn NAPA over to someone else for a week. You'd have a mess when you came back.

Definitely watch CARS, it's cute!

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home