Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Road Trip Part 3

Between work and car accidents, I haven't had time to post the last leg of the road trip to Atlanta. We started out from the hotel in Atlanta at something called a cyclorama, which was a 42' high, 360 degree painting of the battle of Atlanta. You are seated stadium style and rotated (slowly) while the narrator points out key pieces of the battle and the painting. From there, on to Graceland. Have to say it in pictures.



The infamous jungle room. Yeah, that's green shag carpeting ON THE CEILING!



This used to be a raquetball court.



From there we went to the Jack Daniels distillery in Tennessee and the Clinton presidential library in Little Rock. Then home and back to work. That's a tromp l'oeil wooden bench. You can sit on Hillary's lap.



Tomorrow, bright and early, we are off to return to the Boundary Waters Wilderness Canoe Area. We have hubby and me, his parents, Jess and two of her friends. The kids didn't want to portage this year, so we are taking a long haul across a big lake and setting up camp. I have some home remedies for mosquitoes (that smell ever so nasty) that I'm hopeful will keep them at bay. I'll let you know . . .

Footnote: We went out for Chinese last night for my birthday and Trevin's fortune cookie said this: You will soon be crossing great waters on a fun vacation. Bodes well for the mosquito situation. Indeed.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Bill said...

Now you will have to visit Neverland during your next vacation.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

bill - If they open Neverland I may have to visit sometime just for the freak factor.

7:28 AM  
Anonymous lois said...

Oh boy---going to the Boundry Waters, with all those people, sounds like a ton of work to me! Getting food and gear ready, and all that. I must be getting old--(oh REALLY?) but I'd rather just stay home!!!Hope you have fun--REALLY!! Just read where Listerine put in a spray bottle keeps mosquitoes away---you spray it all around you and into the air. Hope you have a wondererful time!!! P.S. Had a note on my dresser for 4 days, to remind me to send an e-mail ON your birthday, and I forgot!!!Love you----Lois

10:33 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

lois - Randy and his folks are doing the organizing, the rest of us are just along for the ride! And I did get a nice card from you for my birthday. :-) Love you guys, too.

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say again HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Di said...

what did you think of Graceland? I went a couple of years ago (after a LOT of begging), and I was really disappointed in the house. I guess what was fancy in the 70s isn't now. I think seeing so much on tv like lifestyles of the rich and famous, etc. made it seem small and kinda drab in comparison. I don't know, maybe I just had it built up so much in my mind......And we hated Memphis!

11:57 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

curt - Thanks!

di - I had the same reaction about Graceland. I liked the exhibits across the street, but the house itself was very disappointing. We didn't do anything else in Memphis, so I don't know about the city.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Big deal... who doesn't have a room full of gold records? Really.

Just kidding... I'm jealous of course. Not of Elvis though, of your vacation.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

jeff - After that awesome rennovation you did on that one room, I'm excited to see what you're going to do with your gold records room.

Wait for the Boundary Waters posts. Still a good time, but rain and mosquitoes, OMG.

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home