Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Road Trip Part 2

Hubby had a seminar Saturday, so my camera and I set out to explore Atlanta. We started at the aquarium.





From there, we went to the Rhodes house, also known as 'the castle on Peachtree Street.' It was built in 1904 by Amos Rhodes, a furniture magnate, in Romanesque Revival style, copied from some castles Amos saw in Europe. It was one of the first places in Atlanta to have electric lights. It also had a form of security system and an intercom system. Quite avant garde.



Those tall windows on the curved part of the building are protected from the sun from the outside because they are marvelous on the inside.



They appear to be stained glass, but they are actually painted. A pair of brothers from Germany painted some windows that won awards at the world's fair. Amos commissioned them to paint windows depicting scenes from the United States Civil War, and they are amazing.



There was a period beginning in the sixties when the house was empty for about two decades. City officials were afraid the windows would be damaged or vandalized, so they moved them (keep in mind, they are 15 feet tall) AND the mahogony staircase, to the archives building until they reopened the home for tourists. I'd kind of like to know how you go about moving such things.

From the Rhodes house, I went to the Margaret Mitchell house and saw where she wrote "Gone With the Wind," pretty cool. Then the Atlanta History Center and back to the hotel to rest up for the Jack Daniels distillery and Graceland on the way back home.



2 Comments:

Anonymous lois said...

What fantastic pictures AND comments!!! Almost makes me feel like I got to visit there too!

11:01 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

Thanks, I'm glad you liked them! I could have looked at those windows for hours. I wanted a picture of the Margaret Mitchell house, but my camera battery died.

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home