Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Random Ramblings

We went to Minnesota for a few days and, ever since we came home, I have been busy with this and busy with that and have once again neglected le blog. Not having any one thing in mind to write about, I will update on some previous posts.

We were in Minnesota for the 51st Thanksgiving of the Ks and the Hs. There were a record number of people, some forty or so. Some new faces, and a niece and nephew that we don't get to see as often as we would like. It was fun to get to know them and see what neat people they are growing into. One of our boys was absent and greatly missed. He is a United States Marine serving in Iraq. When you are saying your prayers, please include one for Jonathan.










Here is an interesting Thanksgiving guest. Several of them showed up and hung around for awhile. I guess they figured they were safe, since our birds were already cooked. And speaking of turkeys, when we came home, we discovered that the city fathers had changed the sign down the road. Now it looks like this.



As a woman, I think I am offended by this. Are they implying that the tom turkey is nicer to look at than the previous hen turkey, as you zip by the sign? And what I really want to know is why they are spending my tax dollars on a new sign with a designer turkey silhouette when we have local bridges and library roofs caving in.

Moving on to our recent hotel experience whereupon we caused much gnashing of teeth for the hotel clerk and manager because we had impudently made online reservations. They comped us the extra cost and let us stay in The Executive Suite. Guess what charge showed up twice on our bank statement. The cost of the hotel room. We were not surprised. We were not amused.

Last, but by no means least, Bugsy has gone to a better place. One, I'm sure, where he has unlimited access to candy canes. We will miss his beady little eyes.

9 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

We have a lot of turkeys running around our yard. In fact, I witnessed a couple mating two springs ago. Let me tell you, I'm not impressed with the stamina.

RIP Bugsy.

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back!! I have missed you!!

7:51 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

heather - Turkeys mating, that can't be pretty!

di - Thanks, it's nice to be missed!

A footnote here - the hamster's name was really Sherwood. I gave him the nickname after his little crime spree last winter. Sherwood is a much nobler name. :-)

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Turkey mating is not as bad as porcupine mating--Bill

8:38 AM  
Blogger KiddoKare1 said...

Poor Sherwood. :(

I've missed you, too! Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving in Minnesota.

I can't believe that lousy hotel charged you twice for the room. I hope you were able to get that fixed with no problem!

8:50 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

bill - Thankfully, I have never witnessed either!

tracy - Sherwood had a good life. I think he actually exceeded his life expectancy. Randy says it's because he lived on hope that I would leave his cage door open and he'd get to go wild again.

Yes, we got the hotel thing straightened out. I think when Randy goes in April to take the next test, we will find other accomodations!

10:08 AM  
Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Is that sign trying to say "beware of deer trying to mount a turkey?" Weird.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

jeff - It's a really odd sign. I think it distracts people to the point that they don't see the enormous turkey in the road ahead of them.

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed Jessica's quote from a few months back... "Why is there a sign of a deer leaping onto a turkey?"

I bet Minnesota taxpayers would not be as willing to let the county or the state get away with stuff like this... we have major interstate bridges collapsing where we are.

In fact, when the state awarded the contract for the new bridge to the company with the highest "technical rating" (96 of 100 or so), the runner up company raised hell because they thought the state should go with them because they cost less. By the way, their technical rating? 55 or so of 100.

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home