Monday, November 20, 2006

Blessings

When my husband's parents were first married, and stationed far from home, they spent Thanksgiving with another couple in the same situation. Later, they all ended up in the Minneapolis area. Long story short, 9 children and 21 grandchildren later, they are still celebrating the day together. The kids (and now grandkids) grow up and scatter, but the event is generally attended by 30-35 people annually. What's impressive is that this is now a fifty year tradition. So, in honor of that fact, I am posting a list of fifty things for which I am grateful.

1. My husband

2. My son

3. My daughter (I am not lumping them together, because to list them separately would diminish how crazy I am about each of them and what a blessing each is to me)

4. Extended family, moms, dads, grandparents, neices, nephews, aunts and uncles, brothers and sisters (I lump them together so I will have room for 46 other blessings)

5. A safe and warm home

6. Food on the table

7. Enough abundance to share with those who have not enough

8. Living in a free country

9. Having the right to vote

10. Friends

11. Babies (human babies are the best, but most other babies are just as precious)

12. Cameras

13. The first snowfall of winter (if it goes on for 38 inches, it negates itself as gratitude worthy)

14. Blue jeans

15. Books, books, books

16. Music, music, music

17. The laughter of children

18. Vacations

19. Sunsets

20. Sunrises

21. Hugs

22. Kisses

23. The first cup of morning coffee

24. A fireplace when it's cold outside

25. Knowing I am married to my best friend

26. Working out

27. Being healthy enough to work out

28. Watching my children figure out life stuff

29. Crossword puzzles

30. Writing

31. People who care about what I write

32. The squirrel who amuses me while I'm writing by tiptoeing along the top of the pointy fence

33. Golf

34. Getting to play golf with my best friend

35. Clear lakes

36. Thunderstorms

37. Faith

38. Hope

39. Love

40. Autumn leaves

41. The first flower of spring

42. Art

43. Cultural diversity

44. A good conversation

45. A spirited disagreement

46. Children who sell lemonade on the sidewalk

47. Children with dreams

48. Adults who help them achieve their dreams

49. A day to remind me to reflect every day on my blessings

50. Bloggers

Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate, and many blessings to those who don't! When I get home, I will post a Minnesota vacation, complete with pictures, so ya'll come back now, ya hear?

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great list. I'm thankful for many of the same things.

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would say that you have got your act together!!!

4:57 AM  
Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Very nice list.

♬I second those emotions ♬

I expect that next year Bloggers will be a little higher up the list? I mean, you DID post this on a blog. Hello! ;-)

7:39 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

heather - thanks. I'm also grateful for comments. :-)

bill - nice. I'm actually typing this on your computer. How cool is that?

h-man - I know, I thought about that. But bloggers are very forgiving people. Hey, I'm in the Great White North!

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

5:18 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

tracy - right back at you!

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Were you more prolific in the third grade?---Each day we check for more of your wisdom!!!

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I "third" all those emotions!!! I was teary eyed by the time I got thru reading them---loved them!!!

10:24 AM  
Blogger Mom Thumb said...

bill - Dude! I was on vacation! I plan to post Monday or Tuesday, with pictures, as promised.

lois - you are one of the friends for which I am most grateful!

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home